Adding a new pup - potty breaks during work week? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Adding a new pup - potty breaks during work week?

What do you guys do when you add a new pup to the household in terms of potty breaks during the work week?

I currently have a dog walker for my GSD, but was thinking about doing away with it, because it's expensive. Adding a second dog makes it *really* expensive.

This is only a temporary problem until the pup gets more bladder control, but what do you guys who work do with your pups while you're at work?

I can't get home on my lunch break, I only have a 30 minute break and I like 30 minutes away.

I just hate thinking that it can't hold it's bladder all day and is forced to pee in the crate or try to hold it.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My husband comes home at lunch to let the dogs out. So he went from 7-12 at 10 weeks with no issue.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yeah, I can't get home on my lunch though. Maybe I'll have my walker just take the pup out?
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I put my pup in a completely empty bedroom with engineered hardwood flooring. Then I got sod or turf and cut it to size to fit in a large low plastic container (3x2). I put a simple dog bed and a few toys in the room too.

I changed the turf every week to keep it nice and fresh and picked up the poop daily. The puppy went on grass even though it was in the house.

I did come home at lunch to let puppy out, but I would think this is one method to consider if you don't want to pay someone to come in and let puppy out. Or perhaps you could pay someone just to come in to manage the puppy and not the other dog.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm struggling with the same issue! Our pup is now about 4 months old... up to this point, we've had a friend who lives nearby come over and let her out of her kennel and have playtime with her everyday around lunch time. However, the friend is a teacher, and will be going back to work soon now that summer's almost over.
Neither myself nor my husband can come home on our lunch breaks (short lunch breaks, long commutes). I don't know what to do... We've been kenneling her (with the lunch time breaks), only because we don't have a room in the house where she can't hurt herself! I've caught her licking electrical outlets, chewing on electrical cords, you name it...
I like the idea of having a "potty area" in the house (like the fake grass), that would take care of the potty issue... but how/when do you determine whether your pup can be free from the kennel? I'm not too worried about her digging up carpet, or scratching the doors/walls (which she will do - just part of having a puppy!)... it's really just a safety issue.
magster33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.