Puppy vacation at the sea? And Teething question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy vacation at the sea? And Teething question

I got 2 Question..

first, I am going on a vacation for 5 days at the Mediterranean sea, and I was planning to take Vicky with me and walk her at the beach, will it be ok for her to have some fun in the sea water? My vet told me its ok that she could have a bath but not sure if she can have a swim, she is about 13 weeks now. If she can should I give her a bath after?

second,
at first I thought that teething means she is sharping his teeth and that's why she keeps biting stuff since teething means sharing teeth when translated to my language (Arabic) but I learned later that teething means she will change her teeth. So any ideas when does that happen? And how do I know it happened? I already give her solid toys for her to play with and her teeth are very sharp now that I bleed when I play with her..

OH!! one more thing I need someone to tell me how to make her stop biting me, my hand is mutant with all the blood and bite marks on it and I can't handle it anymore it hurts alot how to make her stop

"Vicky" 11/4/2014 (how to live without her?)
Maxil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Why isn't anyone replying, help _

Old 07-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

i know nothing about salt water. i personally would only let my dogs go in a few feet on leash. i would be terrified a current would take them out to sea.

they grow their adult teeth about 5 or 6 months. you will tell because their teeth will look bigger then they did before. they are small and needle like when they are baby teeth.

baby teeth

adult teeth

also, redirect your dog to bite something else not you. you should never have let your dog bite you to the point of bleeding. hopefully you can retrain it and didn't already ruin the dog.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for answering!!!

but how will I ruin my dog as you said at the bottom of your post? If you mean by feeding him my blood then no the blood starts coming out 10 seconds after she stops biting.

still need a direct answer about the sea water :/ can I or can't i

Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

i'm saying your dog should never think it's OK to bite you. that's something you have teach it starting on day one. now that you taught him it's OK, hopefully you can change it.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think a 13 week old puppy has been ruined because they bite or nip the owner.

On the biting different things work for different pups. I use it as a chance to teach a sit and reward when they are not biting and doing a nice sit or I will give them a toy to stuff in their mouth BEFORE they nip on me.

The biggest negative I've found with salt water is that they seem to swallow a bit which can cause bad diarrhea. My dogs are normally full grown though and I had never thought about the currents.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

thanks
its not bad for a 13 weeks old pup to bite me yes off, but its bad when I start bleeding and as I said my hand is mutant all bite and blood marks.
and I started to be worried because my mother doesn't love dogs much and if Vicky bit her she will throw her out (Vicky tried to do that alot but I keep stopping her)

Old 07-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

I would say that at 13 weeks you can let her run in the shallows of the water, I would not let her get so deep that she would have to swim. I would do just a cool water rinse when you got home to get the salt/sand out of her coat so that she doesn't get irritated by it. As for the biting, if she thinks it is ok to bite one person (you), she may think it is ok to bite others, at 13 weeks, she doesn't know the difference. Every time she tries to bite you, give her a rope or toy that she CAN chew on
blueangele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

We've taken our dogs to the beach many times. As Betty mentioned, try not to let her drink the salt water, as it can cause the "squirts". Sometime we hose the dogs down afterwards, but often not - the sand falls off as they dry, and then I brush them out.

Definitely be careful if there are waves, especially if she's not a strong swimmer yet. And if you're not sure she won't try to swim out too far, consider keeping her on a long line so you can reel her in if necessary.

Teething is a process that usually happens in the 4 to 6 month old range. She'll start to lose her sharp puppy teeth as her permanent teeth grow in. You may find teeth on the floor or ground or you may not. Sometimes the puppy just swallows them as they fall out, which is fine. While she's teething you may find a little blood on her toys, and her mouth may be sore. Sometimes there's an odor as well, so don't be concerned if her breath is bad during teething. You'll be able to see the missing teeth and then the adult teeth coming in.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

she was all fine but then she got slapped by a wave and she never wanted to go near the see again lol , guess it didn't work out well after all >.>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.