Stubborn on walks? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stubborn on walks?

So, Atti is doing great for a 10 week old. At his 9 week shots, he weighed almost 17 pounds. Potty and crate trained, minimal biting, sleeps through the night and knows sit and down in russian and german. he really has been a pleasure in the past week.
My problem now might just be a normal puppy thing but its a little aggravating. When ever we go on a walk, he will NOT walk away from home. he whines, tries to sit down, will just throw himself on the sidewalk, absolutely anything to get away from walking anywhere away from home. it's not like we go on long walks, we walk the smallest circle in the apartment complex and always go at the coolest part of the day. i have tried bringing treats and toys with me but it never works.
on the other hand, the way back home, he tries to pull as hard as he can as soon as we turn the last corner towards home and whines the entire time basically choking himself with his collar. i've heard not to put a harness on him, at least the ones that attach in the middle of his back.
is there a way to encourage him to walk away from home? also, collar/harness suggestions? i feel so bad having him choke and cough.
sarahp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's a tough question for me to comment on; especially if treats, toys and luring doesn't work. Both my dogs have ALWAYS enjoyed walks...

I guess you could try walking him inside for a while. Is he used to the leash/harness/collar that you use on him? If you can successfully walk him inside, take baby steps and try taking him outside. Increase the distance from home little by little...

Harness or collar suggestion. Anything really works for us. I do not recommend an easy lead or anything of that kind. It didn't work for us and was a waste of money.

He's still really young so his curiosity might peak as he gets older which might entice him to walk...

I'm sort of at a loss. I hope someone else chimes in...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like he may need more socializing. Are his walks the only time he is out and about? Also try tugging on his collar when you want him to walk, not a constant tug where you are dragging him but a quick pop of the leash. If he moves forward praise him and give him a treat. If you want to use marker/ clicker training click or say "yes" as soon as he takes a step forward on the leash and then immediately after give him a treat. After a few sessions he will learn that walking forward gets him something good, then you can start working on duration by making him walk farther before he gets a reward. When I first started training the guy that was helping me out insisted on using prong collars, while they do work and I don't really have anything against them I have found that on most young puppies a flat collar will get the same results...
crazy_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your baby dog is not being "stubborn."

This is way too early for a formal walk. Puppy wants to stay near home and near you. It is normal.

This is what should be going on at this age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUa1TEvQ0SY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiTMEA4vZ3s

Last edited by Sunflowers; 07-20-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is NORMAL behavior for a 10 week old. Go easy. Work within his comfort zone. Pushing too hard can have adverse affects by increasing the fear state. The walking will come. Work within the comfort zone and build his confidence bit by bit. It won't take long.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

My pup was the same way. But, as he got older he became more adventurous.
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 02:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

He's out constantly being exposed to lots of different sights, smells and people. We don't walk far at all. He will barely cross the street to go to the next patch of grass on the other sidewalk without whining. If he sees a person or a dog while we're walking away from home, he gets super excited, tail wagging and very happy to see someone, he will go right up to them and forget about being away from home. He is fantastic at friends houses, with and without dogs (behaved, well-mannered and with shots). He's made LOTS of friends and loves being around people and company. He's very well socialized for this age and has been exposed to as much as I can while also keeping him safe until his last set of shots.
I figured it was normal puppy behavior but I wanted to make sure I wasn't handling it wrong. I do tug a little bit on his leash, which he sees as a tug of war game. He's very use to his collar and leash. He usually is free on a long line in the house if I'm home alone and need to get small things done. I do a lot of driving and he's always with me so he's being exposed to travel, new places and sounds. I would say about every other day he's gone out to dinner at a restaurant with a porch and a park with my boyfriend and I. He doesn't get this way anywhere but at home. We stroll the same distance in the park, if not a little more and he acts perfectly fine, walks either next to or behind me, no whining, plopping down or pulling backwards.
We are working on clicker training! So far so good with minimal distraction and in the house. He really is a fantastic puppy! I'm not quite sure where his comfort zone is. He will walk off our front porch steps and happily walk to the grass, do his business and as soon as he's done, he's over it and goes straight back to our door. However, if we're walking with my roommate or anyone else, he acts perfectly normal and we can walk the complex with no problem at all. It's just when we're alone, that's what baffles me.
sarahp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.