Puppy shots - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Puppy shots

My vet scheduled 5 series of puppy shots for Ace. The first 2 were given in front of us..but why the next 2 had to be given in a separate room ? Is this normal ?? Should i ask the vet to give the shots in front of us ? Will it offend him ?
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi Ace: This YOUR dog and YOUR money! Forget about offending him! If it does....get a new vet!

He gave him 4 vacc's in one day....2 in the room and 2 in the back room? What were they? It should show on your receipt.

This is the schedule that Dr. Jean Dodds (vaccination researcher) recommends:
9-10 Weeks Old:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Merck Nobivac [Intervet Progard] Puppy DPV)

14-16 Weeks:
Same as above

20 Weeks or Older (if allowable by law):
Rabies

1 Year:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (optional = titer)

1 Year:
Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus every three years thereafter, or more often, if desired. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian. In that case, a rabies antibody titer can also be performed to accompany the waiver request. See the Rabies Challenge Fund website.
W. Jean Dodds, DVM
Hemopet / NutriScan
11561 Salinaz Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92843

with your veterinarian.
For Dr. Dodds’ position on various canine vaccines, please refer to the following posts:
Frequently Asked Questions about Titers and Vaccination Protocol
Dr. Ron Schultz on Lyme Vaccine
Dr. Ron Schultz on Leptospirosis Vaccines
Kennel Cough Complex Vaccines
Infectious Canine Hepatitis
Canine Influenza (H3N8)
Vaccinations: A Global Perspective
Taking The Risk Out Of Puppy Shots by Dogs Naturally on July 12, 2011 Taking The Risk Out Of Puppy Shots | Dogs Naturally Magazine Protecting Your Puppy From Disease: Protecting Your Puppy From Disease | Dogs Naturally Magazine
Bordatella Vaccinations: Bordetella Vaccination for Dogs: Fraud and Fallacy | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Vets On Vaccines: Vets On Vaccines | Dogs Naturally Magazine Web Sites:

This site has a WEALTH of knowledge on vaccinations:Top Natural Holistic Dog Health Care Book: Multiple Award Winner

Go to this page to read about vaccinations: pet vaccinations - Search Results

This one has 4 parts with Dr. Schultz, another doctor who has researched vaccines: The Truth About Pet Vaccinations | Part 1

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh not in 1 day srry i didnt say it right. He scheduled 2 weeks intervals but i wasnt comfortable so i made it 3 weeks intervals. I read some of those thanks thats why i dont feel good about giving lepto and rabies at the same day .
Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace GSD View Post
Oh not in 1 day srry i didnt say it right. He scheduled 2 weeks intervals but i wasnt comfortable so i made it 3 weeks intervals. I read some of those thanks thats why i dont feel good about giving lepto and rabies at the same day .
Then DON'T do it! Your instincts are correct! Talk about overtaxing the immune system!!!!!

Unless Lepto abounds in your area, I would think twice before I would give this to my dog.
“Since there are so many Leptospirosis serovars out there, and since the pathogenic strains vary, and since the vaccines cannot guarantee protection from infection, it would make better sense to not inject your dog with any Leptospira vaccines. The trade offs to avoiding adverse events from vaccination - not the least of which can be renal failure within 48 hours of injection, or four years of dermatitis and puritis – would be the human caretakers actually knowing their dog is sick with a pathogenic strain and having their dog presented immediately for treatment.27 To do this, animal guardians need to be aware of the symptoms of Leptospirosis in the dog.” http://dr-jordan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/LEPTOMANIA-by-Dr.-Patricia-Jordan.pdf

"Lepto is a very adverse event associated vaccine and the damndest thing is that lepto vaccines simply do not work. Dr Ron Schultz (the world's foremost independent authority on canine vaccines) hates to see them in with anything else and, in puppies, advises that they are completely finished with the viral inoculations before getting a vaccine against Lepto, which he neither recommends nor advocates - even in Lepto endemic areas.
"I have seen older dogs go into kidney failure within two days of receiving a Lepto vaccine."
Vaccines can also cause the disease you're attempting to prevent. In the Canine Health Concern vaccine survey, 100% of dogs with leptospirosis contracted it just after being vaccinated against it. Leptospirosis, of course, attacks the kidneys - and the puppy had severe kidney damage. http://www.dogsadverserea...cines/vaccineDamage.html
Old 07-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Not sure why they took your pup in the back. But at the next visit, just ask that they do the vaccines in the room with you. No big deal really. Your veterinarian should not care.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 07-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

OK so he is scheduled for
Rabies,Parvo,Lyme#2 and Lepto. I'm just gonna ask them to schedule lepto another day. About asking to get the shots done in the room ill have to toughen up about that lol... thats my weakness and i hate it.. im too scared to offend people most of the time But i gotta protect my baby here.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace GSD View Post
OK so he is scheduled for
Rabies,Parvo,Lyme#2 and Lepto. I'm just gonna ask them to schedule lepto another day. About asking to get the shots done in the room ill have to toughen up about that lol... thats my weakness and i hate it.. im too scared to offend people most of the time But i gotta protect my baby here.
I'd give this visit a little more thought before agreeing to this.

And do more reading and research about how prominent the lepto is in your area to see if you can avoid THAT shot. The Lepto only covers certain strains.

Rabies should be given separate and 4 weeks away from any other vac's.

Moms
Old 07-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

In my opinion they are loading him with to much at one time.

My aussie puppy got a total of 3, (not at one time),,booster types,, it was only parvo/distemper..one at 6 weeks by the breeder, one at 8 weeks by the breeder (and that was to close in my opinion..At 11 weeks the last parvo/distemper, then at 15 weeks rabies.
That was IT..Not doing lepto, not doing Lyme.

I agree with others, YOU are this puppies owner, YOU tell them what YOU want, NOT what "THEY" want

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I would ask for a list of the vacs that have been given and when they were administered and start looking for a new vet. Whether this guy is milking you for money, or just doesn't know better than to not overload your pup, you can find a better vet.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I know how confusing all this seems- it's tough to figure out what to do, when so many people/vets say so many things that contradict each other! With my vet, he agrees that giving rabies (or any non-core vax) at the same time as the booster is not the best way. BUT he also acknowledges that this practice is pretty common, and most people don't want the inconvenience of multiple vet visits. I stagger the shots with my dog, and he doesn't charge me for the return visit, just the shot itself.

The back room thing shouldn't be an issue, just say you want to be with your pup. I've had techs reach out for the leash before, but I just smile and say no. It's really not a big deal, I think it's just easier for them and might save some time. But nothing they'd risk losing a customer over.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.