When can I switch to twice a day feeding and leaving him home alone while I work? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default When can I switch to twice a day feeding and leaving him home alone while I work?

Quick question. My pup is currently just shy of 4 months. He is being fed 3x a day, and even though I work full time I leave midday to run home to feed and let him out. This has worked out well so far, but in 3 weeks my job dynamic is changing and it will be harder for me to come home every day. At that time he will be 4.5 months old.

He is crate trained and sleeps through the night up to 10 hours without issue or needing to go out. I have had to leave him alone (in his cage) for 10 hours during the day once, and he was fine and did not have any issues or accidents. When my job changes, will I be able to switch to twice a day feeding and not coming home to let him out during the day? Or will he still be too young for that?
intothevoiddd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

each dog/puppy is an individual. I have a 4mth old and still feeding 3x a day, will most likely go to 2x a day when she's around 5/6 mths old. Altho I feed my adult gsd, 3x a day for gut issue..

As for leaving them all day crated..Again, depends..My 4mth old would be going bonkers if I left her all day (tho I don't condemn others that do).

With that, do you know of someone who could maybe come in mid day when your schedule changes to give him some outside time?? That would be ideal if you could do that for awhile..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I switched to twice a day feeding between 5-6 months old as well.

Can a friend or family member come by half way through your work day and let the puppy out? Do you have a neighbor you can trust to let the puppy out?

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You can switch to 2x by this age. Hire a dog sitter or neighborhood kid to let your pup out for half hr breaks
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you have already left him caged through the day and everything was fine, I don't see an issue with doing it everyday.

I have always left mine caged through the day going on dog number two. No issues as long as you control their food and water intake BEFORE you cage them for the day.

Here is our routine. We fed twice a day up until around 5 to 6 months and we went out every morning right after eating to poo and pee. We don't rush this. Then it was to the cage for the day. Get home, straight outside to poo and pee and get fed and watered. We only fed two cups morning, two cups afternoon, and what water they drank as long as it wasn't the whole bowl. Afternoon, consumption of water didn't matter because I was there and he could get out to go. Would cut back towards bedtime. Feeding amounts vary though. Yours may eat less. I try to keep it where there is a routine of pooing and peeing right after eating and drinking. I've never had issues of any kind as long as you don't leave anything in the cage through the day with them. He sleeps through the day fine and at night fine. I do run and exercise him plenty when at home. This is important also.

All you can do is try it for a week and see how it goes.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jafo220 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Crating ALL DAY? You must be nuts.

Crate training is good. But that's a bit much.
onyxkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.