14 week old puppy Frightened - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2014, 04:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 14 week old puppy Frightened

Hello, a friend of mine was selling his puppies that were a surprise. I just bought one early yesterday. She has always been outside on a farm with her parents and siblings and had never been in a car or worn a collar or anything. When I seen her interacting with the other dogs she appeared very assertive and curious. When she seen me she was not shy to come near me or say hi. I brought her home and she appears to be the complete opposite. She refuses to step outside and walk. and she wont move away from my front door. yesterday she would barely look at me and my kids but today she would lick our hand and eat her food and drink water. I knew she would be scared but what would be the best way to get her outside with us walking? People have come over and she has seen other dogs but she is just so terrified. I want to take her for a walk but she won't even leave the front door. Any suggestions would be great.
NewGermanPup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Honestly I'd return the pup if I could.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

a friend selling his puppies? i hope you got some kinda shot record. vet check with some kinda documentation before purchase. and a formal contracted health guarantee. people that are ignorant and let their unaltered dogs reproduce should just give the puppies to their friends for free. i don't know the circumstances though.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

WHOA THERE! I wouldn't be too worried yet about what you have.

You got an entirely unsocialized pup that's spent it's entire life in ONE place with ONE set of people/place/other dogs.

Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Suddenly, you have yanked that happy secure puppy from 100% of what it knows and put it somewhere new. ALL our pups take awhile to adjust when we get them, but if the breeder didn't socialize and prepare it then OF COURSE it will be tougher for the pup and may take a bit longer to adjust.

Make sure you get a good start on crate training so it learns there is a safe haven they can go to. What is crate training (why put my puppy in a cage?)

Then make sure you have set meal times (at least 3 times a day for awhile) and take up the food if it's not completed. We become more wonderful and less scary when directly connected with food. In fact carrying around kibble and treats in your pocket is also a good idea for awhile.

TONS OF TOYS all over the house and learning how to play like a puppy with the fun tugging and running and BEING ON THE GROUND with the pup for awhile. Less threatening and more assuring.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

First, tell your friends to have their dogs altered, no more surprises.

When you saw her with her litter and she was confident, she was in familiar surroundings with dogs and people she knew. Did you see both parents or just one? What was their behavior like? That can tell you a lot in itself.

rethinking "popular" early socialization << Read this link for socialization. Keep any interaction with human or dog absolutely positive. If she acts fearful, no coddling such as petting/hugging her saying things like 'that is ok' etc.

Read through the The Puppy Place - German Shepherd Dog Forums . There is so much information there - tons and tons.

Start now researching and locating an experienced trainer. Be sure they are experienced with GSD and/or working breeds. As soon as your pup has her shots, get started with training.

As for taking her for a walk, unless she has her full puppy shots, you will have to be very careful where you walk her. Until she has had the series, only walk her where other dogs haven't been. At this point I would focus more on building the relationship with her. Get a soft tug and play some tug, let her chase and pounce on the tug. Reward/treat her every time she looks at you
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input. She has adjusted amazingly.
To answer a few the father was king shepherd and the mother was sheperd/lab. Both were healthy and gentle. Our puppy Storm adjusted a few days after writing my post. She has learned to play catch and tug of war with myself and my two kids as well as has been picking up commands quickly. I have not crate trained her because she doesn't seem to need it. When I leave her alone she lays near our fish tank with her toys surrounding her, fingers crossed it remains that simple lol.Just wanted to update how well she is doing in our home. I feed her 3x a day. She is not on kibble but is on Raw food and is a hundred percent healthy when I brought her to the vet. The vet is guessing she will be roughly 75 lbs-80 lbs by adulthood. So far so good. She also has a lot of interaction with other dogs( almost all my friends and family have different breeds of dogs) and plays very well, she has also become very social with humans but will not go up to them until I allow her. She follows me around everywhere but is starting to leave my side confidently and comes back when called more times then not. She is constantly stimulated and in training with me due to me and my job which allows me to be home in the summer. So far everything is going well. Thank you again for the different inputs and ideas

Last edited by NewGermanPup; 08-13-2014 at 01:28 PM.
NewGermanPup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Great news! Not noticing the date on the thread, I was going to say "patience" - this was just her second day in a new environment. You got the job done, she's happy, you're happy. Glad of it!
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.