9 week old barking at EVERYTHING - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 9 week old barking at EVERYTHING

The title basically explains it. Atti barks at everything and anything. Noise in the house, car starting, anyone walking by (not just strangers). Everything you can think of. I've never had a dog that barked and it's one of my biggest pet peeves when someone has a dog that barks nonstop. He did it this morning about 6:30 when my roommate walked out of the house to let her dog out.

He doesn't know his name yet much less sit or anything else. Those are something's we're having a hard time with. No matter what I try, treats or food or toys, he doesn't have any interest in listening to me when I try to teach him his name or any commands or the concept of potty training.

Also, he has started humping things like pillows and blankets, other dogs or his toys. I've never had a male dog before either so I don't know how to curb this one either. He gets lots of exercise and stimulation. We play until he decides himself to lay down and take a nap. When he does he gets put in his crate for an hour - two hour nap, then back out and more playing or walks.

Any help on any of this is GREATLY appreciated.
sarahp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

First of all, he's a tiny baby. You sound like you are expecting too much. If he was a 6 m old human infant would you be expecting that baby to listen to you and know it's name?

Raising puppies is really hard (and rewarding) but most of all takes tons and tons of time and PATIENCE.

Best part is that if you are overwhelmed he's a perfect age to return to the breeders and just admit you were over your head and not prepared for what getting a puppy involves.

Otherwise, hopefully the crate is beside your bed and crate training read up on and understood. What is crate training (why put my puppy in a cage?)

What you SHOULD be looking at for your puppy is just you loving him and TEACHING/GUIDING him thru this suddenly new and scary world you have jarred him into. Bet he was happy with his mom and littermates and didn't get a vote when it was decided to remove him from all that!

THIS is what should be going on ---> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Good luck. Clickers RULE!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Ace had attention span of a rock at 10 weeks old when i just got him but now when i call his name he look at me in a heartbeat. I trained him to be like that... this is what i did Call name - eye contact = reward and repeat . As to other command when he was younger he didnt really listen to me the first day i give him the new tricks but the next day he got it the first try... so its almost as if he get it but doesnt care enough lol. They are smart little mutts hahha dont worry about it.
As for barking at roomate he maybe just trying to tell her not to bring her BF hehe JK. just enjoy your little man so his name is Atti ?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
First of all, he's a tiny baby. You sound like you are expecting too much. If he was a 6 m old human infant would you be expecting that baby to listen to you and know it's name?
I didn't think about it this way! Thank you for that. Makes much more sense in that perspective. I just see some other 9 or 10 week olds know their name and come when called. I know I am expecting way too much in that department. I do want to try and curb the humping and barking as early as I can so it doesn't form a habit down the road. Just like bite inhibition, I think it's kind of similar to begin teaching him what is and isn't acceptable.

I did try the clicker but I haven't found a high enough value reward for him to pay attention to at least hearing the clicker for a few minutes.

I've always heard that you needed to start some training as soon as they come home and it's never too early. I need to stop worrying so much and let him be a puppy! I love him dearly and he's the best thing in my life. From what I've learned from talking to family and friends, the end of the first week is when you start thinking "oh what have I gotten myself into" and having regrets but a couple weeks down the road you can't even imagine ever having thought of giving him up.

I will read those links, thank you for adding them in! It's been a long time since I've been around a puppy and it's all so new! I appreciate the input so much
Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace GSD View Post
Ace had attention span of a rock at 10 weeks old when i just got him but now when i call his name he look at me in a heartbeat. I trained him to be like that... this is what i did Call name - eye contact = reward and repeat . As to other command when he was younger he didnt really listen to me the first day i give him the new tricks but the next day he got it the first try... so its almost as if he get it but doesnt care enough lol. They are smart little mutts hahha dont worry about it.
As for barking at roomate he maybe just trying to tell her not to bring her BF hehe JK. just enjoy your little man so his name is Atti ?
Haha! I agree with the roommates boyfriend idea. If I were him, I would do the same! Thank you for some suggestions I need to give him a few weeks, I think that's going to be the common theme. Yep! His name is Atticus. Once he got home, nothing I had been thinking of really fit him so I just started saying names to him and when I said Atti, he looked at me and came towards me (probably a coincidence, but I'll take it!) he's absolutely an Atticus now, it totally fits him.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You can start 'training' right away. But what 'training' is for a tiny puppy is not what we will do 6 m down the line! Teeny short sessions and more 'capturing' what they suddenly do right then EXPECTING them to listen and obey.

Really take a look at --> Top Training Expectations for Puppies specially opening each link and looking at the videos.

HUNGRY puppy (skip a meal and use treats). REALLY fun tug toys and lots of play in the mix so they don't even know they are learning at all! The puppy just thinks they are playing with you.

Great time to buy 'Crate Games' by Susan Garrett. This is about training our pup and using a crate to help with the training (not teaching our pup about not to use the bathroom in the house with a crate). Here's a puppy at 13 weeks with 'the game'

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

My boy is 5 months and still loves this game. Throw a treat a little distance--if nothing else, prey drive kicks in. Pup will usually go get it. Then, after puppy eats treat, when he turns his head to look my way, I immediately say his name. He comes back (I have the food!!) and I have him sit (put food by his nose and then raise it up and back and pup will usually sit). I give 3 or 4 treats (small pieces) to prolong the sit and to show that if you come to me you get lots of food!!

Lately, I have pulled back from giving treats for sit (although I sit ask for it) and now we do treats for downs. This is a fun, no pressure way to informally teach recall, sits, and downs. My guy loves this game!

In parks, I sit on the ground and throw the treat in the grass. I have him on a lunge line. Now pup has to engage his nose to find the treat. Pup will come back because there are more treats when pup is with me.

I can call "Simon" in my yard or house and my boy comes a running!!! Saying his name is connected to food
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.