Today I started feeding her during the walk - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Today I started feeding her during the walk

My puppy (smart little *** ) didn't want to walk the full block when we went out for a walk. She would play dead half the time we went outside (fall over on her side and not move what so ever).

Today i decided not to feed her until the time for walk and fed her during the walk. It was magic! She loved the walk and even practiced coming to me when I called her name (with all the distractions on the road).

Last edited by Castlemaid; 07-12-2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: language - speudoswearing - check forum rules.
parsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've never tried it but read and heard many positive things about feeding a pup it's daily allotment of food as treats via the human hand.....perhaps you just gave another ringing endorsement to this particular approach.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Not a fan of "bribing" my dog in training myself. I expect full compliance regardless of whither or not they feel like eating.

Rocky never got "treats" for not biting the crap out of someone! "Because I say so" works for me! Behaviourist have told me that's not how you train dogs.

Works for me and my dogs and a few rescues but what do I know.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Talking about about an itty bitty baby puppy here - let's give the dog and owner a bit of leeway.

And I used to be of the same mindset - dog should just listen to me because. Period.

Until I got Keeta, and everything with her was a battle of wills. It was exhausting, and i was NOT having fun. So I decided to humble myself, admit that there was a lot about dogs I didn't know, and enrolled in positive, reward based obedience classes - WOW! What a mind changer! I learned so much, it completely turned Keeta's mindset around, instead of fighting me, she because my partner, and our relationship changed to what I wanted it to be.

Rewards are for training - you phase them out as the dog matures, but by then, their brain has made the connection that listening and obeying is fun and rewarding!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd like to point out that treats aren't necessarily food. A treat to your dog can be anything from your affection/attention, to a scratch on the ears, to a game of fetch. I have a hard time believing you never bribe your dog.

I will admit it, I shamelessly bribe my dogs.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, when I worked it was for a paycheck. So I expect to reward my dogs. I'm pretty happy with the results.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.