German Shepherds Forum banner

Today I started feeding her during the walk

671 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  middleofnowhere 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My puppy (smart little *** ) didn't want to walk the full block when we went out for a walk. She would play dead half the time we went outside (fall over on her side and not move what so ever).

Today i decided not to feed her until the time for walk and fed her during the walk. It was magic! She loved the walk and even practiced coming to me when I called her name (with all the distractions on the road). :)

#2 ·
I've never tried it but read and heard many positive things about feeding a pup it's daily allotment of food as treats via the human hand.....perhaps you just gave another ringing endorsement to this particular approach.

SuperG

#3 ·
Not a fan of "bribing" my dog in training myself. I expect full compliance regardless of whither or not they feel like eating.

Rocky never got "treats" for not biting the crap out of someone! "Because I say so" works for me! Behaviourist have told me that's not how you train dogs.

Works for me and my dogs and a few rescues but what do I know. :)

#4 ·
Talking about about an itty bitty baby puppy here - let's give the dog and owner a bit of leeway.

And I used to be of the same mindset - dog should just listen to me because. Period.

Until I got Keeta, and everything with her was a battle of wills. It was exhausting, and i was NOT having fun. So I decided to humble myself, admit that there was a lot about dogs I didn't know, and enrolled in positive, reward based obedience classes - WOW! What a mind changer! I learned so much, it completely turned Keeta's mindset around, instead of fighting me, she because my partner, and our relationship changed to what I wanted it to be.

Rewards are for training - you phase them out as the dog matures, but by then, their brain has made the connection that listening and obeying is fun and rewarding!

#5 ·
I'd like to point out that treats aren't necessarily food. A treat to your dog can be anything from your affection/attention, to a scratch on the ears, to a game of fetch. I have a hard time believing you never bribe your dog. ;)

I will admit it, I shamelessly bribe my dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.