German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Crate Training question/help! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/469689-crate-training-question-help.html)

klhaley25 07-11-2014 06:09 PM

Crate Training question/help!

Hello all, this is my first post. I have a 9 week old gs puppy, we've now had him for 3 weeks. When we crate him at night and during the day when we're gone he whines all night. I knew he would for the first several nights, but it has been 3 weeks now with no relief. When i feed him, I will put his bowl at the back of the kennel and he will go all the way in and eat with no problems, but when he's locked in it and we leave he starts his whining/barking the entire night.

Also, he has been doing fairly well with potty training as long as I keep a close eye on him, but when he is crated at night he seems to have no problem peeing inside the crate (the crate is the appropriate size for his age, just big enough for him to stand and turn around). During the night I will wake up several times throughout the night to take him outside to potty (generally every 2 hours,but sometimes less), but then sometimes in between me waking up to give him a break, he has already peed in his crate. There are days when he is crated during the day for 8 hrs at a time while we're away at work and he surprisingly manages to hold it the entire day somedays, other days aren't so lucky.

So i'm just wondering if there's a way to get him to stop peeing in crate even when I wake up every 2 hrs OR LESS to give him a break. (It's exhausting lol) And also anyway to get him to stop whining the entire time he is crated...like I said, it's been 3 weeks with no relief.
Thanks for any help!

Steve Strom 07-11-2014 07:12 PM

I think you may be crating him too much.

Tulip 07-11-2014 07:21 PM

Took mine at least a month or longer to stop crying and messing in his crate

Myah's Mom 07-12-2014 02:22 AM

Quote:

When we crate him at night and during the day when we're gone he whines all night.
I agree, the pup needs exercise! Can you get someone to come over and play with the puppy and keep him on a schedule of eat, poop, play & play, potty and crate/nap time?

Also, too, he is young. This too shall pass... :hug:

llombardo 07-12-2014 02:34 AM

Is he peeing and pooping in crate or just peeing? My female was loud. I don't remember the reason, but I had her dewormed and the size of those things were 10-12 inches. After they were gone the crying stopped. What time do you stop giving water?

lauren43 07-12-2014 07:59 AM

You can crate a pup when you sleep and work as long as the time you spend with him is used constructively.

Training, playing, running, games...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

MaggieRoseLee 07-12-2014 09:16 AM

Think part of the problem was that you got him so very young (illegal in most states to get before 7 weeks and looks like yours left mom at 6?). Such a young pup is harder to teach about the crate (and other things).

Hopefully you've been taking him OUTSIDE the house to socialize with other good dogs/people/children because that's another huge issue when our pups aren't allowed the normal socialization by staying with their litter for those extra few weeks.

PATIENCE! Praising when he does go to the bathroom in the outdoors. I teach a 'good poo poo' and a 'good pee pee' commands and my dogs actually know the difference.

My dogs are ONLY crated when I am not home or sleeping at night. Otherwise I close doors and use baby gates to keep the puppy IN THE ROOM WITH ME so I can pay attention and housebreak/house train (no, do not eat the sofa :) ) with the immediate guidance/timing that is key.

You see this? FUN FUN FUN and play with puppy is key to build a relationship http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html

:)

CoraGirl 07-14-2014 03:25 PM

I got my girl at 6 weeks, it was supposed to be 8 weeks but I was excited and when the breeder said I could get her I didn't really realize the timeline of how old she was, otherwise I definitely would have preferred 8 weeks. That being said, what I did with my girl was I kept all her stuff in the bathroom. I put down a washable potty pad and then had her crate in there with the door open. My thinking being that she would begin to associate the crate for sleeping and not potty in it, it worked great for her. Once she got older and was able to hold it longer I began putting her in her crate at night.

During the day I would leave it open and have a bowl of water available and a bunch of toys for her to play with. I would pick up her water 2 hours before it was time for her to go to bed and took her out then and right before it was bed time. We had our accidents but compared a previous dog I had, she was wonderful to potty train!

klhaley25 07-15-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Strom (Post 5764041)
I think you may be crating him too much.

He's not crated as much as it sounds. There is only 2 days during the week where he is crated during the day when me and the wife are both at work. Those 2 days, noone is available to come give breaks...sometimes he holds it all day, other times not. And I haven't been crating him 'every' night, if he's been good with going to the door during the day and no mess, then he sleeps next to the bed, and as long as i hear him wake up and whine, i take him out and he doesn't mess in the house.

As for getting him too young, we did get him at 6 weeks, which I feel is too young to get a puppy, but the owners said he had stopped feeding from the mother and refused to keep him any longer and that he would go to the next person in line if I didn't come get him that weekend.

klhaley25 07-15-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5766418)
Is he peeing and pooping in crate or just peeing? My female was loud. I don't remember the reason, but I had her dewormed and the size of those things were 10-12 inches. After they were gone the crying stopped. What time do you stop giving water?

He is only peeing in the crate, has never pooped in it, and very rarely if ever poops in the house. He does have hookworms though, he just went back for his 3 week booster after recieving medicine for the worms, but the vet says they are still there and are trying the meds one more time.