I am SO angry! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I am SO angry!

Well, I finally moved into my apartment and got settled in yesterday. Today, my roommates boyfriend was here and was playing with Atticus a little bit of the day. When I put atti in his crate for nap time, I would come back in my room and the boyfriend would be sitting on the floor next to his crate poking and growling at him and trying to get him to wake up and growl back. The second time it happened, I said something to him that it needed to stop because his crate needs to be his safe place and he needed to take his nap and rest for an hour or so. He takes his nap, goes outside and when I come back in, I ask if roommate and bf would watch him for 10 minutes so I could do some things in my room and settle in more. 2 minutes later, Atti is screaming like he is in pain and so I run out there to the living room and boyfriend is holding him a foot off the ground by his collar and smacking his nose, screaming at him. I grab atti, take him to my room and hold him while he's shaking and whimpering (after shouting a few choice words at bf). Apparently, Atticus had grabbed his shoelace and untied his shoe.

Let me remind you, Atti isn't even 9 weeks old. I've had him 5 days. Now he won't let you touch his neck or try and put his leash on. He cries and whimpers with his tail tucked and tries to run away. Earlier in the day, her boyfriend had given Atticus his shoes and shirt to play with and would throw them across the room for him to chase. I put an end to that real quick after I saw it happen. I explained that he doesn't need to learn that clothes and shoes are toys.

It definitely shook me up and Atti has either been glued to me or shaking in his crate since this afternoon. You would think people would have more common sense! He's a PUPPY. he's going to chew on things. He has 10-12 toys in the apartment that are within arms reach at all times so we can teach what's good and bad to chew on. Lesson learned: never trust people with your puppy.
I feel so bad for my little man. He's sleeping in my bed tonight any suggestions to help him get over the collar fear now?
sarahp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Don't make too big of a deal about it with the pup, it will move on - remain positive and upbeat. But I'd tear that bf a new one and in the future do not leave your dog unattended when they are around. Sounds like they can't be trusted at all.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
Don't make too big of a deal about it with the pup, it will move on - remain positive and upbeat. But I'd tear that bf a new one and in the future do not leave your dog unattended when they are around. Sounds like they can't be trusted at all.
It took everything in me not to do more than scream at him. I'm not trying to make it into something huge, just trying to build his trust and confidence back up. After it happened, he wouldn't let my boyfriend touch him, which was incredibly out of character because they're best friends. Atti LOVES him. I don't want it to turn into a fear of men. I might be jumping the gun. I guess I'm too quick to assume everyone will treat my dog right. He's been left with my roommate, family and boyfriend and he hasn't had a problem.
sarahp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 03:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The pup may be telling you something about this boyfriend you need to be evaluating....that is some pretty extreme behavior for the 'offense'

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 03:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

wth
dump the jerk and save your poor puppy!!
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Practice collar grabs with treats - reach towards his collar, give a treat, grab his collar give a treat, rub his neck gently, give a treat. He should bounce back quickly and when he is working well for you, have your boyfriend do the same.

From now on, the roommate's boyfriend has ZERO contact with Atti. Though I'm sure you were already going to do that.

I understand this particular frustration. I moved in with some roommates who all seemed decently knowledgeable about dogs - not experts or anything, but seemed to have common sense. Well, the first night I brought Kaiju home I put him in his X-pen and came back into the room to find them whacking him i the face with their hands, encouraging him to chew hands. I yelled at them about it, they apologized. The next day, I came back from running an errand to find them handing him a Nylabone, them ripping out of his mouth and laughing when he screamed for it. I stopped any interaction between them at that point and crated him in my room when I was gone. Found out a couple days later they were going INTO MY ROOM and taking him out of the crate to do the same things I was yelling at them about. Ended up having to padlock my room when I was not there.

At least the boyfriend does not live there it seems like? If his general attitude towards your puppy continues in this direction, I might have a serious talk to your roommate about the boyfriend simply NOT being allowed over at the apartment.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
wth
dump the jerk and save your poor puppy!!
I think you meant her roomies BF and not her BF. Just wanted to be clear. Her BF isn't the issue.
Sir BEOWULF the Brave {male Sibe | Malamute | Wolf} 5/5/10
counter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Phew! thanks for clarifying!!

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

the guy would have been quite close to 'dead' if I caught him doing that to my puppy,

My concern now is, what could happen if you leave this puppy home alone and the boyfirend is around?

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Put a lock on your door. A good one.
The puppy needs to be tethered to you or in your room, crated, with the door locked.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.