Moving Crate = No SLEEP - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Moving Crate = No SLEEP

Hi All,

Ella is 15 weeks old today. We brought her home at 10 weeks old. She has been crated in our bedroom ever since. She gets up, tosses and turns and it isn't quiet! Last night she was whining and we got her a sip of water and put her crate out in the living room. She had to be let out every hour. When we brought her home we took her out once for the first few nights & that was it. She also pooped in her crate last night, which she has never done before. Is this all related to sep. anxiety? Tonight I was thinking of putting some of her rubber bones/kong in there. We are also going on vacation and she will be staying with a trusted pet sitter, and I am pretty sure the crate won't be in her bedroom. Please tell me it gets easier!!!???

Also, what is a recommendation for a puppy knowing a command, such a "crate" and she walks right past it because she just doesn't feel like going back in? I am assuming I need her on a short leash in the house.
Sahmama26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

It does get better we got Lucie at 8 weeks and she would howl and scream in her crate at night. We covered it with a sheet and ignored her at night once she was old enough to hold her bladder. She finally gave in and doesn't make much noise in her crate. We tell her night night and she walks right in.

So ignore her at night it will stop trust me!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
andrea04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

My Athena was no issue at all in fact she cried at night until I started crating her. Eden on the other hand had never been "contained" by her breeder and was a terror the first time we tried crate training. I started during the day in the kitchen first 10 minutes in with a treat given when the door closed then after she got the assurance that we were going to let her back out I increased the time to 30 min. with treats and plenty of praise. The next couple of weeks I still had middle of the night wake up calls for potty but never took the crate in the bedroom. Now that she is 16 weeks the crates are in the basement (lack of space for two in the kitchen) and the girls immediately head down when I tell them to "go to bed" this is the same command I used from the start.

Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014
My2shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would suggest feeding her meals in the crate, we have been doing this and will leave the bowl in there so the smell of food lingers to try and promote the "dont go where you eat" idea which seems to have worked well for us. Our pup is 10weeks old and has only had a couple small pee accidents in the crate.

We also leave plenty of toys in there with him and i will usually hid a few treats in his blanket so he can dig around for them once we lock him in and leave for work. The first week or 2 she will probably cry alot in the crate at night, we had to sleep on the floor next to our pup the first couple nights but now when the lights go out he knows its bed time and is quiet as a mouse unless he needs to go outside (which is a good thing). Do your best to ignore the crying so they do not start thinking that crying will get them what they want.

Best of luck!
odins_raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.