German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Praise her during or after she potties outside (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/468417-praise-her-during-after-she-potties-outside.html)

parsa 07-08-2014 01:57 PM

Praise her during or after she potties outside

Should I praise her right after she potties outside or even while she is pottying?

lalachka 07-08-2014 02:00 PM

70 Attachment(s)
I've done it (and still do though he's 18 months) as soon as he starts and then might pet him and say it again. But I'm very affectionate towards him, some might say I'm overdoing it. It works for us though.

Ellimaybel 07-08-2014 02:00 PM

I praised the entire time. As he was headed outside, while he was going, and when he listened and came back in. I say whatever it takes and whatever works!

scarfish 07-08-2014 02:02 PM

i always did with puppies when done. i always worried they would prematurely pinch it off in excitement and save some for the floor. that's just me i'm sure everyone does things differently.

Charlie W 07-08-2014 02:27 PM

While she's pottying repeat the word that you would like to use as the command to go potty. Praise when she's done. It's really useful to be able to tell them to go sometimes, I do it if I'm meeting a friend for coffee out somewhere and I don't want them needing to go while we're there! Also useful last thing at night when it's cold outside and I just want them to go to the toilet and come in again without conducting their usual border patrol!

Baillif 07-08-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie W (Post 5749369)
While she's pottying repeat the word that you would like to use as the command to go potty. Praise when she's done. It's really useful to be able to tell them to go sometimes, I do it if I'm meeting a friend for coffee out somewhere and I don't want them needing to go while we're there! Also useful last thing at night when it's cold outside and I just want them to go to the toilet and come in again without conducting their usual border patrol!

Pretty much this.

Emptying their bladder is reinforcing enough it isn't really necessary to praise it except I guess to show approval for their choice of spots to do it vs them doing it inside or something.

wolfy dog 07-08-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie W (Post 5749369)

That's how I have done it with the last five pups raised. They all understood it after a week. I never praised them; just putting the word and behavior together nd turned it into a habit.

lalachka 07-08-2014 03:16 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5749425)
Pretty much this.

Emptying their bladder is reinforcing enough it isn't really necessary to praise it except I guess to show approval for their choice of spots to do it vs them doing it inside or something.

That's why people praise. Not the act of pottying but the choice of spot. So why does it matter whether emptying their bladder is reinforcing or not

RiverDan 07-08-2014 07:18 PM

I still say, "good poop."
When they were young, I would really praise during the daytime. During they early stage, early morning (3am) poops, I would say a nice low, "good poop".

llombardo 07-08-2014 07:22 PM

I would tell them go pee pee or poo poo and praise when done. I have had numerous trainers tell me that if you tell them good girl or good boy before task/command is completed then the dog tends to think they are done before they really are.