German Shepherds Forum banner

Bringing a puppy home at 7 weeks?

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Pioneer53 
#1 ·
I've seen some other threads on this, but they were old, so I wanted to know if we have any new information about this. Is bringing a GSD puppy home at 7 weeks acceptable? I thought 8 weeks was minimum and 12 weeks was best? If a breeder is letting people bring puppies home at 7 weeks, should they be written off regardless of their popularity? We're experienced, and we have a very tolerant older female dog, but I'm wondering if this is an unforgivable red flag if the breeder is otherwise fantastic.

#7 ·
This makes me feel a lot better, thanks. We raised a wolfdog puppy from about 4 weeks and didn't have any problems with his bite inhibition, though he was a resource guarder (good luck finding one that's not though). So I'm not worried about us, just the dog!

#8 ·
Maybelline was abandoned in my daughter-in-laws front yard at maybe 4-5 weeks old. She's most likely a res-dog being found within a 1/4 mile of an Indian reservation.
Zazzle is a bred dog and we got her at 4 months old.

Maybelline gave us the least "puppy" problems of any of our dogs ever and I'd say Zazzle is pretty easy as well.
Both ends of the spectrum.

Seems to me seven weeks is fine. I think here, California, is an 8-week state.

#10 ·
Not to hijack your thread, but my concern is similar.

We are in the process of getting a new boy. I would like to being him home at 9 weeks. I read a lot of how GSDs really benefit from an extra week. Also I will have two weeks vacation at his 9th week.
Is this a good idea?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.