Just got my puppy. she is a handful - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just got my puppy. she is a handful

I just got my 8 weeks old working puppy (last night). I've taken this week off to play and bond with her and start things off.

She's already peed twice and pooped once in my house. When I take her she barely wants to get out of the shade too (i live in Houston). but inside the house she is jumping all over and wont spend a minute inside her crate without crying.
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

yey parsa's home
lawmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

i just got Remy yesterday as well, and im experiencing the same as you. Good luck, we're on the same boat! haha
DROWZY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats on your new puppy. My pup is now 5 months old, so I know what you're talking about! To help occupy Isen, I bought a flirt pole off of Amazon.com to help exercise Isen. He loved it! As they get older, their energy level increases lol, not decreases. A tired puppy is a good puppy lol. For potty training, I took Isen out every 20 minutes, whether he looked like he needed to go or not. Also right after he drank water. They are smart and pick up quickly where they should use the bathroom. Good luck and enjoy your puppy!
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with d4lilbitz, take out every 20 min or so and when they potty make a big deal out of it, praise, praise, praise. Unless crated you really have to keep your eyes on them like a hawk while potty training. Enjoy your baby it only gets better.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

That sounds like a very typical 8 week old puppy!
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Congratulations on your new baby! The crying is her way of dealing with the transition from breeder and her mom and litter mates to a whole new situation in her new home. Try to ignore the crying so she will learn that crying is not a way to get her needs met.

When my boy came home at 9 weeks, I sat by the crate and did my own thing so he knew I was there, but I didn't interact with him. I never opened the crate if he was whining or tried to soothe him.

The puppy stayed confined in a crate or is outside potting. If I wanted to play with puppy, it was outside--then there were no accidents in the house. My boy also does not like being hot and wants to be in the shade. Early morning and evening may be your best play times.

Your little girl is not yet regulated with your schedule yet, but after a while, you will both be in sync and then potty training becomes easier. Basically, any accidents are a management issue and not the puppy's fault. She wants to do the right thing.

German shepherds bond very deeply, her crying is symptomatic of this. It will take time for her to bond to you. My boy just turned 5 months and now I really see and feel the bond.

At first, a GSD puppy is labor intensive and exhausting on your part. Her babyhood will fly by, be sure to get pics as she will be bigger each morning than when she went to bed the night before.

This forum has a wealth of info and lots of supportive people. Welcome!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.