German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   What about a Rough Collie for the next dog? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/466369-what-about-rough-collie-next-dog.html)

wolfy dog 07-02-2014 03:25 PM

What about a Rough Collie for the next dog?

D is doing well, Pano is over and the puppy itch is back. I hate it!!!! But I try to remain in control of this craziness.
Does anyone of you have experience with the combination of A Rough Collie and a GSD?
D has a strong personality and I won't go into this before he is 2 years old. I do love the male dogs and was thinking about a low key male collie pup at that time.
Any advice, experience besides telling me I should definitely get a female ?:D

Jax08 07-02-2014 03:28 PM

Collie's are my first love. I see no reason why you couldn't have both.

Amurphy26 07-02-2014 06:12 PM

I grew up with rough collies and wouldn't recommend them. They were very aloof, obedient but not a whole lot of fun. Definitely not a breed I would choose for a GSD. Border Collies have been great with our GSD. Fast, fun and really well behaved. Love those collies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jax08 07-02-2014 06:17 PM

Mine were fun and anything but aloof. They thought they were lap dogs.

Merciel 07-02-2014 06:27 PM

I actually haven't seen a lot of same-sex aggression in Rough Collies, although I am far from an expert on that breed and most of my very limited experience is with conformation or conformation/performance dogs, none of whom were exactly dynamos of intensity in any regard (although some of the confo/perf dual-purpose dogs were perfectly nice in the ring).

Merciel 07-02-2014 06:28 PM

Anyway, I think my only actual advice if you were going to try that pairing would be to get a backup vacuum cleaner, and then get a backup for your backup. And then maybe a backup for that one. :p

Jax08 07-02-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merciel (Post 5721209)
Anyway, I think my only actual advice if you were going to try that pairing would be to get a backup vacuum cleaner, and then get a backup for your backup. And then maybe a backup for that one. :p

BEST advice EVER!

brembo 07-02-2014 07:47 PM

I had a BC and a GSD at the same time. I was outsmarted at almost every juncture conceivable, but it was a fun battle. Rough Collies aren't quite as scheming and deviant as their cousins the Borders. They are tough as nails though, and great dogs.

Question: Is your house zoned for industrial production? Because an inspector could make the case that a GSD and a roughie in the same house is indeed a dog fur production facility.

wolfy dog 07-02-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brembo (Post 5721489)
Question: Is your house zoned for industrial production? Because an inspector could make the case that a GSD and a roughie in the same house is indeed a dog fur production facility.

Found a good way to deal with all that free floating hair: open up all the doors and the draft blows them outside, honestly true! :D

wolfy dog 07-02-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merciel (Post 5721193)
I actually haven't seen a lot of same-sex aggression in Rough Collies, although I am far from an expert on that breed and most of my very limited experience is with conformation or conformation/performance dogs, none of whom were exactly dynamos of intensity in any regard (although some of the confo/perf dual-purpose dogs were perfectly nice in the ring).

I think a mellow male Collie will easily defer to the GSD, who will be an adult when that puppy shows/grows up.