German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Do I tell my homeowner's insurance company about our new pup? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/466065-do-i-tell-my-homeowners-insurance-company-about-our-new-pup.html)

magster33 07-01-2014 08:08 PM

Do I tell my homeowner's insurance company about our new pup?

Hi all!

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place... I'm a newbie (AND a new puppy owner), still learning!

Question is... do we need to report to our homeowner's insurance company that we got a German Shepherd pup? We've been with the same company for several years, and we're very happy with them, but I was recently informed that this company has a "ban" on GSD's...

I'm getting so many different opinions from everyone I know (some say, keep it to yourself, after all, we didn't lie on the application because we didn't have any pets at the time... others say, that withholding this information could really bite us in the butt later)...

Figured I should turn to other GSD owners for advice! Any experience with this? Or recommendations regarding insurance companies (in case we get dropped)?

jocoyn 07-01-2014 08:16 PM

If the company has a ban on GSDs I would find another company first then ask them. State Farm and Travelers do not have bans AFAIK.

llombardo 07-01-2014 08:18 PM

Depends on what their rules are. Allstate in my state will continue to honor the policy until the end of that term and then not renew. I wouldn't lie about it because if someone ever sues you it's not worth losing your house over if the insurance refuses the claim. I would find another insurance company. State Farm doesn't have any breed restrictions.

Twyla 07-01-2014 08:22 PM

It could really bite you in the butt later if something happened. If your company has a ban, begin search now for a new ins company.

We have insurance with Travelers with no problem about having a GSD.

JakodaCD OA 07-01-2014 08:30 PM

I had used allstate "forever" at one point, they asked if I had dogs and what breed, I had 4 german shepherds,,they actually told me to get rid of my dogs..HA, you've got to be kidding me??

I switched, allstate continued to bug me to come back to 'them', Everytime they called I would ask, 'is gsd's still on your ban list?",,well 'yeah',,well STOP CALLING ME ...

I suggest you switch,

Chip18 07-01-2014 08:33 PM

Did a quick search and found this, Boxers are on the list???
Homeowners Insurance

kr16 07-01-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 5716681)
Did a quick search and found this, Boxers are on the list???
Homeowners Insurance

Different companies have different lists.

Regardless, read your policy, nothing else matters. It has to be listed in writing in your policy documents.

eddie1976E 07-01-2014 09:02 PM

My understanding is that Amica does not ban any breeds.

Gretchen 07-01-2014 09:03 PM

I've had State Farm forever and didn't even know there were "lists" until reading this website. My agent knows I have a GSD, she's been in the agent's office and nothing was ever said to me.

I would call your insurance agent, if there is a ban. you'll probably have to switch companies.

SuperG 07-01-2014 09:52 PM

My understanding is.....it is only significant to report a specific breed of dog when applying for insurance...as the application should ask such questions.

SuperG