boarding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default boarding

Hello! I'm new to this forum but have checked it for advice in the past. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with boarding their GSD puppies? We have an almost 8 month old, sweet male GSD who is crate trained and is in puppy training at Pet Smart once a week, however I just boarded him at Petsmart dog hotel and I almost left crying because they basically lectured me on how much nervous energy he has, and that they generally don't board many Shepherds. This would have been nice to know before I boarded him for the weekend! I was pretty upset. He has been boarded with no problem at all at our local animal hospital that has a yard they can run in. We have two young children and they also made me feel a bit bad for having a puppy who is still "mouthy" around them because "he may do damage when he is older since he is a large breed dog". We have a soft muzzle if needed for him and monitor him every minute he is around the kids. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this type of situation with their GSD puppy/dog? Thanks!
Jules101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So they're happy to take your money but not your puppy? That's pretty crappy. You're going to get all sorts of silly comments from people, but geez you shouldn't have to pay for them, lol. Steer clear of the places what give you this kind of "advice" and you'll be fine. I had someone tell me this stuff too, with my then 6 mos. old - but they ate their words when they met him again once he matured and was a wonderful dog. Don't listen to them.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used to board my girl at a Petsmart hotel and had no trouble with them. They loved her, and even gave her extra playtime without our paying for it because their second playgroup was small and she was so friendly. She was about a year old, and still pretty rambunctious. Sounds like your hotel has very different people.

Haven't boarded since we got a second dog though because he was labelled an "escape artists" and I'd prefer he not try to break out of an unfamiliar kennel. He's fine at home so we have friends stop by when needed.
angierose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you notice other signs of your dog’s issues? Unfortunately both of the experiences you wrote about are when others are dealing with your dog and in many cases, depending on the skill of the employees, different boarding facilities are able to put up with different things. The fact that the one place has a run for the dogs to play, doesn’t really guarantee that your dog gets let out to play there with other dogs. They might’ve tried it, saw the same thing Petsmart saw, and put him back in his own kennel run. Then just didn’t let you know that because they might’ve figured you knew that about your dog and most people when they board their dogs don’t really expect “play time” with other dogs…I know I wouldn’t.

I’m not sure why you have a muzzle for him…but I’d worry if I saw an 8 month old GSD and its owners were taking proactive steps by purchasing a muzzle. To me, it’s a sign that you’re unsure of how he might react in different situations. IMO, at 8 months of age a dog shouldn’t be mouthy anymore and should’ve been taught bite inhibition with regards to humans. The last thing you ever want is to put a muzzle on a dog around other dogs though. It makes them feel defenseless, and they’ll probably react more aggressively and differently than they would otherwise.

At 8 months old, he’s growing up and is going through some weird stages. Many dogs get a little bit weird around this time. So maybe that has something to do with it. At the same time…he’s maturing and his genetic personality will start to come out. So a dog that might’ve been fine a few months ago, might be showing some weaknesses in his genetics right now. Not saying he is, or he isn’t. But It’s not very shocking for me to hear that a GSD of that age isn’t acting like he did when he was 4 months old.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
So they're happy to take your money but not your puppy? That's pretty crappy. You're going to get all sorts of silly comments from people, but geez you shouldn't have to pay for them, lol. Steer clear of the places what give you this kind of "advice" and you'll be fine. I had someone tell me this stuff too, with my then 6 mos. old - but they ate their words when they met him again once he matured and was a wonderful dog. Don't listen to them.
Thanks!! So glad to hear the experience with your dog! I feel this will be the same with us.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Do you notice other signs of your dog’s issues? Unfortunately both of the experiences you wrote about are when others are dealing with your dog and in many cases, depending on the skill of the employees, different boarding facilities are able to put up with different things. The fact that the one place has a run for the dogs to play, doesn’t really guarantee that your dog gets let out to play there with other dogs. They might’ve tried it, saw the same thing Petsmart saw, and put him back in his own kennel run. Then just didn’t let you know that because they might’ve figured you knew that about your dog and most people when they board their dogs don’t really expect “play time” with other dogs…I know I wouldn’t.

I’m not sure why you have a muzzle for him…but I’d worry if I saw an 8 month old GSD and its owners were taking proactive steps by purchasing a muzzle. To me, it’s a sign that you’re unsure of how he might react in different situations. IMO, at 8 months of age a dog shouldn’t be mouthy anymore and should’ve been taught bite inhibition with regards to humans. The last thing you ever want is to put a muzzle on a dog around other dogs though. It makes them feel defenseless, and they’ll probably react more aggressively and differently than they would otherwise.

At 8 months old, he’s growing up and is going through some weird stages. Many dogs get a little bit weird around this time. So maybe that has something to do with it. At the same time…he’s maturing and his genetic personality will start to come out. So a dog that might’ve been fine a few months ago, might be showing some weaknesses in his genetics right now. Not saying he is, or he isn’t. But It’s not very shocking for me to hear that a GSD of that age isn’t acting like he did when he was 4 months old.
He is less mouthy than he was at 4 months old. He doesn't bite hard, but we just feel more comfortable having the muzzle as a precaution until he is fully trained. I'm switching to a trainer that has been training dogs of all ages for 30 years, so I feel confident we will get any issues sorted out. I am just mad that PetSmart acted like it was no problem when I stated he was still mouthy and barked a lot around other dogs and then got lectured for it when I went to pick him up basically. However, his "report card" indicated he was a perfect angel. I'm not confident in the establishment's ability to handle large puppies.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

My 9 month old is still mouthy when playing but is pretty soft unless she is in a frenzy, which of course, I try to avoid. She's still growing out of it.
carrieincolorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 03:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I boarded my boy there and am not going to do it again. They seemed to give my moms dog a report card that she plays with other dogs in day care, but they have never seen her do so. I also watched her one weekend and she just ignored my boy. Seems they said she enjoyed it just to keep them paying for the service. They also billed me twice and it took forever to get corrected.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.