Average Costs Per Month of a GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2014, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Average Costs Per Month of a GSD

Hey Guys,
I am planning on getting a GSD puppy soon (and I will be a first time dog owner) . Aside from the Initial purchase price of the pup, I'm trying to figure out, on average, what the monthly cost will be to own a GSD? I am on a tight budget, so I just want to make sure I have the proper funds allocated ahead of time.

Thanks for the help guys.
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

The monthly upkeep cost of a dog is irrelevant if you can't afford to pay for medical care and other unforeseen problems. Would you be able to afford a major surgery or other emergency treatment? Basic monthly costs depend very much on how and what you choose to feed, how much equipment and supplies you buy, what level of routine veterinary care you pay for (vaccines, minor issues), and so on.

Starting out on a "tight budget" isn't promising. Where are you going to get your puppy? Is it a reputable breeder charging $1200 or more, or is a backyard breeder selling cheap puppies that may be riddled with expensive major health issues later in life?

The Cost of Owning a Dog
Old 06-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

I rather agree with Bob.

Let's use this as an example,, one of my dogs two days at the vets 1000 bucks, can you do that if an emergency cropped up since alot of vets won't take payments?

Same dog last year, daily vet visits for IV fluids for 10 days, cost me around 2500+ can you do that?

I think every dog deserves a good home, but I also think alot of people do not take into consideration how they would pay if an emergency cropped up and usually at some point in a dogs life emergencies DO crop up.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here are some thing to consider as costs for ANY dog:

Vet visits - plan $100.00 for exams and vaccines, worming, etc. each time
Food - plan $50.00 per month for decent quality food
Toys, leashes, collars, etc. - plan $100.00 initially
Brushes, combs, toe nail clipper, shampoo, etc. - plan $100.00 initially
Flea and tick preventative - cheaper if purchased in multiples, plan $20.00 per month if purchased individually
Heartworm preventative - cheaper is purchased in multiples, plan $20.00 per month if purchased individually
Crate - plan $100.00

These are just the basics and, any illnesses or ailments, will add to this.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree with the advise you have gotten so far. You have to be able to provide medical care for your dog.

Nikki is my second GSD and also has chronic health issues. As a puppy we were dealing with a mild case of parvo, she was treated at the 24-hour emergency hospital and total cost was around $1,600, she was only nine weeks old

When she was four months old we made our first trip to our dermatologist. In her first year her vet bills added up to almost $10,000. She has EPI and environmental allergies that require life long treatment.

IMO this is not a healthy breed but even if you get lucky and can avoid genetic health issues an accident/emergency can set you back thousands of dollars.

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

About 60.00 per month. If you are to ask me what they cost per year it would be alot different tho, 60.00 on a good month with no problems lol and just food consumption!
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've been pretty lucky with my dog (15 months). Have spent approximately $700 on vet bills, shots etc. and two visits to the ER vet. He got hit in the eye with a tennis ball and then one other time thought he may have had a blockage so required x-rays, turned out to be environmental type bacteria, cleared up in a few days. I spend about $80-$100 month for raw feeding and then whatever treats or new collar/leash we may need is over and above that but most of that expense was incurred before he was a year old. The last 4 months we only buy the occasional bag of treats, and of course he needed a wading pool to cool off in.
LoriH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I feed raw and its about $300 a month. If you're on a tight budget you should look into the quality kibbles. Invest in expensive quality leashes and collars so you buy them only once.
Sagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

When you first get your puppy plan on spending @ least $1000. You usually have 3 visits to the vet for shot, wormer, and microchip which will run you at least $80 a visit plus $45 for the microchip. Registration paperwork is about $45. Training the first year is puppy class = $115 Novice intermediate class = $125 and Advanced class = $125 CGC testing = $50. Food each month is $56 ( I feed blue wilderness for two so it double that.) This year alone for collar and leashes. herm sprenger prong- $25, puppy leather martingale $18, herm sprenger fur saver $25, amish leather leash $30, amish leather flat collar $35, long line for training recall $19. Toys way too many toys to calculate!!! Brushes -slicker $6, furminator- $45, Kong bath brush-$10. Crates $150 for a good one. The list goes on!!! Not a cheap breed to own but in my opinion well worth the investment.

Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I adopted my first gsd at age 22 and was on a very tight budget. In the first year she needed hip surgery and she had a ton of other health problems over the course of her life. I did have to borrow money for a couple of her surgeries but I never for a minute regretted adopting her because she was a once-in-a-lifetime dog.

Do be prepared to spend a minimum of $150 on food, toys, supplies, vet care per month and have a plan if you will need more for unforeseen problems.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.