German Shepherds Forum banner

My new puppy hates outside!!

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Alena Gonzalez 
#1 ·
Brought home my 8 week old pup Friday morning. She had lived her whole life in an outdoor kennel. She had a part if it indoor like a garage type area where it was cooler then an outdoor part but the whole thing was cement and wood shavings in an area too. It was not a/c but fans in door and shaded even outdoors anyway I describe this to give you an idea that she wasn't living the high life even though well taken care of, and clean. Ever since coming into my house (first time indoor) she doesn't want to go outside. She acts like a sissy and you have to drag her out ( typically I just pick her up) even luring her with homemade salmon treats she won't freely come. She has done much better potty training today, no accidents. But I've been forcing her out often and walking her with a leash in my yard. She's so stubborn!! Is this normal? I assumed a larger dog that's spent so much time outside would enjoy it. Floor Door Room Cat Flooring

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm certainly no expert, so take this with a grain of salt (and I'm sure the more experienced owners will correct me if I'm wrong) but she's only been with you a few days and is getting used to her new environment, and from being separated from her litter mates and mom. Also, puppies go through a "fear period" from 8 to 10 weeks of age, so that might be part of the issue here. Be patient with her and I bet it resolves itself pretty quickly.

#3 ·
Thanks!! She also wants to play so badly with my Yorkie however he despises her. So I have had a couple of friends come over to see if she would be interested in their dogs( adult friendly dogs fully vaccinated) and from a distance she seems interested but if they walk towards her (on leash of course) she just screams and runs behind me so I've decided that it must be too soon for that. When they pull the dog back and we continue out conversations she's fine. However my moms smaller dog she really wanted to play with but she's a Maltese and mean as ****. I have another friend with a 12 week old Australian Shepherd that loves to play, they will probably be great friends but I would not allow her to come over because she is not fully
vaccinated. This puppy thing is more work than I remember! She's my first GSD and her personality is so different. She's super chill. I think some of friends are a little surprised that she doesn't have the typically puppy excitement when people come over. She's nice and all but could take or leave people and craves no attention from people. She actually seems more interested in kids than adults :) she does however follow us around all day. And gets excited it one of us has left and returns. Thanks! Sorry to ramble!

#5 ·
It's not so much that she is afraid of outside, she is just not used to the big wide world. Her security is you, and the closeness of the walled-in indoor areas.

Give her time and be patient with her. Carry on matter-of fact to reflect to her the positive example that there is nothing to be worried about.

Sounds like she was not socialized at all during before you got her, so EVERYTHING is new and overwhelming. Since she is so unsure about everything, take is slow to introduce new people or new dogs.

#6 ·
Brought home my 8 week old pup Friday morning. She had lived her whole life in an outdoor kennel. She had a part if it indoor like a garage type area where it was cooler then an outdoor part but the whole thing was cement and wood shavings in an area too. It was not a/c but fans in door and shaded even outdoors anyway I describe this to give you an idea that she wasn't living the high life even though well taken care of, and clean. Ever since coming into my house (first time indoor) she doesn't want to go outside. She acts like a sissy and you have to drag her out ( typically I just pick her up) even luring her with homemade salmon treats she won't freely come. She has done much better potty training today, no accidents. But I've been forcing her out often and walking her with a leash in my yard. She's so stubborn!! Is this normal? I assumed a larger dog that's spent so much time outside would enjoy it. View attachment 221098

Is it hot outside? When I first got Jinx she didn't really like being outside either, then when it started getting cooler, she never wanted to come in, and now that it is hot again, she seems to prefer being indoors again.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. No, she was only socialized with the breeder/trainer and his wife. He's real weird about exposing them to anything since they are not vaccinated ( I would have liked a bit more socialization). We visited her twice and she was the most laid back one which is why we chose her. The other female was crazy hyper. And yes it's smoldering hot her I live outside Houston. But that's where she was too. Yes everything is so new to her. I will slow down. She starts some basic training tomorrow(back at the breeder) she's really smart and already sits on command. I have to remind myself of her age. I think once she was walk outside and not just in my back yard which is mostly pool she will be so much better. She's had 2 really rough nights we are crating her and we've had the crate in the study. She wakes up when reading and screaming pretty often. We of course get her up to potty but have to lay outside the crate to get her settled down. Tonight we are going to attempt the crate in our room and see if being closer to us will help.

#8 ·
Give her time go slow with her make it fun to be outside. Also socialize her take her everywhere when you can. My puppies first visit is Home Depot lots of noises people etc. You have only had her 3 days. Go slow as far as your other dog it's a lot of time and patience and watchful eye. Been there with my puppies and my Great Dane. They're great now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.