German Shepherds Forum banner

Vaccines and exposure

837 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Saphire 
#1 ·
Can't believe it's been almost 14 years since I have had a puppy!! I don't think I was near as concerned about things that I am now. But I want to be careful and have a couple questions. I get my puppy on Friday at eight weeks one day. She had her first set of vaccinations at seven weeks two days. I know she is not protected so I will be very careful about where I have her. My friend has a 16 acre farm with horses and goats she also has one family dog. Her dog is completely vaccinated and the only other dog that comes over occasionally is her neighbors dog which is vaccinated as well. Me and my daughter are planning a trip over there and I would love to be able to bring the puppy. Is this a bad idea??
my second question is for the vaccine schedule, I've read so many conflicting schedules. Because she had her first set of shots before eight weeks some say they are null and void. Is this true and if so does that mean I need three more sets of vaccines?? HELP!
Thanks!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Don't take her to the farm. You do not know what foxes, coyotes, and un-owned canines have been on that property and whether any have had distemper or parvo. Don't take her.

As to shots, I am in the same boat. I have a pup coming to me and the breeder (who is just starting out on a breeding career) vaccinated the litter at 6 weeks! I am NOT thrilled. I will be having to do three sets. What I did is took the # of days between shots and 16 weeks & divided by 3. That gave me 24 days per. I just scheduled shots 24 days apart until we finish at 16 weeks and then rabies alone a week later.

The shots are not exactly null and void, they diminish as the mother's immunity kills them. So either the shot or mom's immunity has them somewhat protected. As long as shots are 3-4 weeks apart you are partially covered as you inject and mom's immunity kills it or not (at which point the shot serves). However, you don't have the immunity to go places like pet stores, camping, dog parks, walking around the neighborhood, places with canine wildlife.

I hope this helps. I would take the number of days between the shot and 16 weeks and divide by 3 and just keep giving them. You will need 3 more sets and the final one has to land on or after 16 weeks. Rabies should be given alone after 16 weeks.

#7 ·
This is Dr. Dodds most current vaccine protocols and what I follow.

9-10 Weeks Old:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Merck Nobivac [Intervet Progard] Puppy DPV)

14-16 Weeks:
Same as above

20 Weeks or Older (if allowable by law):
Rabies

1 Year:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (optional = titer)

1 Year:
Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus every three years thereafter, or more often, if desired. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian. In that case, a rabies antibody titer can also be performed to accompany the waiver request.*

Carmspack Gus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.