German Shepherds Forum banner

My Daisy beat Parvo!

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  HappysMom 
#1 ·
You all remember the puppy I bought from my friend right?

Well everything was going amazingly well. She was the right balance of calm and hyper that we wanted and we thought we were gonna just coast along with a great puppy to raise. In the 2 weeks we had her at home, I kept her inside or in the back yard with our other Chihuahua. I did take them both with me on a very short walk to pick up the mail but mostly just to socialize them a tiny bit to the new area we live in.

Then suddenly last week on Tuesday she started showing the same symptoms as my previous GSD puppy that had distemper. She lost all energy, appetite, and thirst. She vomited and had diarrhea and we thought the worst was about to happen.

On Wednesday we called a vet and he told us it was most likely Parvo. That our previous dog had probably left the virus in the dog house (we used the same doghouse) and she probably got it from her. That we could take her in but it would be about 4k dollars and she'd probably still pass away. He suggested we try home remedies if we couldn't afford it.

So we bought Parvaid, maalox, and pedialyte. We started force feeding it to her on the hour just as the instructions said. We also made a puree of boiled chicken and white rice and gave it to her as well. She lost so much weight it was scary. She was lifeless from Wednesday until Sunday.

Then on Sunday she just started acting better. She wagged her tail, she started drinking water on her own, she stopped vomiting, and she even started to jump around as she walked. We bought some of wet food, the nice cuisine looking kind to see if she would eat and she devoured it! We were extremely happy and then she capped it off by going to the bathroom last night and leaving a perfect looking nugget for us. I never thought I'd be so happy to see dog poop in all my life.

So here she is now, as of last night she was happy, barking, playing tag, and eating and drinking on her own. Her skin started bouncing back when pulled and her belly doesn't look scary skinny anymore.

I just wanted to share because I'm extremely happy for her. I never found out exactly if it was Parvo or Distemper but I don't care at this point. I'm just glad she's okay and if she beat this then I know she can beat anything.

Now I get to spend all week bleaching everything just to make sure we minimize the risk of hurting another dog.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Congratulations on beating the parvo! She is a looker....from the sparkle in her eyes I bet she spent her sick days coming up with mischief for you.

Jelpy

#8 ·
I'm glad she's ok, that would have been terrifying

#12 ·
Oh she's back to her normal self alright.

Last night I laid down on the floor to watch TV with her and while rubbing her belly she decided to take a chomp out of my hand. It turned into play and now I have the little scratch marks to show she's much better.

This morning she woke me up at 5:45 like normal to be let outside. I mixed about 1/4 cup of kibble with another one of those wet dog food meals and she devoured it and then drank water happily. Once she had her fill, she went to go pee and then slammed right into the glass sliding door trying to come in lol

We brought her in and she was frolicking around the house like nothing had ever been wrong at all. We love this little girl!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.