German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy meeting my dog

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Alena Gonzalez 
#1 ·
So I finally bring my girl home this Friday. She will be 8 weeks old. I've read several different ways to introduce the dogs. Any suggestions?? I currently have an almost 14 year old Yorkie. He doesn't act his age. He walks 1/2 mile a day but also sleeps about 20 hours a day. Should I introduce them in our front yard?? Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
If your senior Yorkie is territorial then I would suggest not having the first meeting in his own front yard. Perhaps neutral territory like a nearby park might help smooth things over.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Ya I would say he's a little territorial. So maybe in my neighbors yard. I'm trying to avoid the park since I live in a major dog community and the pup will have only had one set of shots. I will obviously have the pup on a leash but I'm thinking maybe the Yorkie will be free without lease. He's very obedient and won't run off. I think he's more insecure when on a leash

#5 ·
Can you bring the Yorkie with you to pick up the puppy and just introduce them in the car or where you're picking it up from? After seeing my puppy get sick I would really recommend avoiding the park or any place outside of your home or car to help your puppy not catch something.

We kept our puppy inside by herself for a few days and kept our chihuahua outside. When we finally let the chihuahua inside to meet the new puppy we were kinda worried cause our little guy has King Joffrey syndrome but they actually were great meeting each other. A lot of sniffing and walking around and then he ignored her and wanted to eat her food lol All she wanted to do was follow him around for a bit and then go back to her corner to sleep. Now she runs him over constantly and we hear him barking at her all the time when she gets a little too rough which is most of the time lol

#7 ·
I think it's best to introduce two dogs on neutral territory (both on leash) walking them around together first. Since you have such a young pup and have an issue with the Yorkie being insecure on leash I think it would be best for you to go with introducing them with the puppy on leash (or in a crate) and the Yorkie off-leash outside. Try your best to stay calm when you introduce them. Good luck.

#8 ·
Take deep breaths!! Calm... Yes, calm. We are all looking at our poor Yorkie today feeling sorry for him. We need to change our outlook and pray they eventually get along. I feel sorry for my Yorkie but at the same time I can't allow him to rule the entire house until his death (I know that sounds terrible but we all want the dog) I'm almost wondering if I should well be introduction to take place with my husband and the kids with me not around??? Not because I'm going to be stressed out because my Yorkie Acta like more of a jerk when I'm around... However I don't let him get away with it. Thanks!

#10 ·
Too cute!! How did the introduction go?

#13 ·
Typically Yorkie style, my 4 pound beast showed his teeth with a little snap. lol she didn't seem to interested in him honestly. She since has tried to play with him but when he let her know he wasn't interested she left him alone.

That pup is so cute. How did you end up introducing them? Puppy on leash and Yorkie off-leash?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.