German Shepherds Forum banner

Purebred or not??

3K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
Hello,
My husband and I recently purchased what we were told is a purebred german shepherd puppy. The breeder we purchased her from said he didn't have the papers on her, and really he seemed to be a backyard breeder. We were skeptical both both our sons fell in love with the female puppy we were looking at so we purchased her. I am sure she's purebred (even if she isn't, she's already extremely obedient and easy to train) but my husband has his doubts and is worried we were lied to. She's a gorgeous pup, we just wanted to get some opinions because a family friend is intrested in having her as a potential mate for her GSD. Please take a look and let's know what you think!

Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I have seen several GSD puppies with faint whiteness on the chest that goes away, but the large amount of white in conjunction with the white patches on the feet suggests a cross of some kind to me. Colors will likely change around as she gets older.

#5 ·
She's a gorgeous pup, we just wanted to get some opinions because a family friend is intrested in having her as a potential mate for her GSD. Please take a look and let's know what you think!

Thanks a bunch!
Mate as in breeding? Please please please don't do that if that was what you were implying. Even if she was pure, breeding should be left to those who have both a great depth of knowledge of proper breeding practices and genetics as well as registered sires and dams that have proven their health and temperament through sports and titling.

Without the background and knowledge you need to breed, you would just be another backyard breeder either adding puppies to the population that will likely add to the millions of pets euthanized every year in shelters across the country or will propagate bad breeding practices that destroy the integrity of the breed we all love.

#8 ·
No, she wants more of a female companion for her GSD. We aren't planning on breeding or anything of that sort. We just wanted opinions on whether or not she's purebred so we can be sure ourselves and ensure our family friend that we have a good pup on our hands. Like I said, I think she's beautiful and great purebred or not.

#11 ·
Lucky you, if she is mixed with a BC. There's a gsd/border collie mix at our dog park. That dog is super smart, although a handful :wild: She races around the dog park so fast its hard for the others to keep up with her and she loves every moment of it. Good luck with your new baby what ever she is :D

#19 ·
Could it be the "panda" coat colour?

It looks, in the very least, predominantly GSD.

But if there is room for doubt that the ancestry of the dog is dubious just by looking at it... then it most likely isn't a purebred GSD. You'll never know for sure what other breed might be in there, if it is there.

#21 ·
so many things seem wrong here --

You are sceptical of her breeder .
There was enough evidence to point the breeder out as a backyard breeder .
The kids loved the dog , so you bought her . They would have "loved" any puppy , any where , whatever amused them , not much discriminating involved .

In the picture the dog is in the back of a truck which looks like its seen many a day of good honest work . Gas can .
I wouldn't scatter kibble on this surface for the dog to eat.
You don't know what the kibble is picking up , little spilled gas, oil, construction waste, toxins which may contribute to some health problem, cancer , down the road.

this "because a family friend is intrested in having her as a potential mate for her GSD. " to me smacks of considering this female as a potential breeder , a female to breed to the friend's male.
This makes no sense "No, she wants more of a female companion for her GSD."

Who cares what the friend wants . Isn't the dog your dog?
Her GSD doesn't need your dog as a companion.

You being assured she is a purebred -- "whether or not she's purebred so we can be sure ourselves and ensure our family friend that we have a good pup on our hands."
has nothing whatsoever to do whether she is a good pup.

You said she trains easily and she looks healthy and sturdy , so she is a good pup , a good pet and companion.

The breeder you got her from has no papers , bet you that is the way it has been for a few generations.
No way of telling about the purebred factor. No proof .
You have no information on the hips of this dogs sire and dam , and that probably goes back for a few generations.

I don't buy the explanation of your and the friend's not breeding . I bet the friend's dog doesn't have much information on her dog either .

#26 ·
No doubt.

Still not a GSD though. Head is not quite right, ears are not quite right. Three visible pink nails, and the white fur. GSD ears don't usually start their stand like that either. Those are terrier ears. Of some kind.

Something else is in there too.

#27 ·
here is another comment --- NOT specific to this thread but to the number of posts over the years , where someone goes out and gets a pup , is sceptical on the back story , or comes onto the forum for assurance that "this" is a purebred.
You wanted a canine friend .
Sad , if the owner feels the dog has more value if it is purebred . Sad , if the owner had some scheme which considers the dog as a commodity capable of generating income .
Every dog should expect to be cared for , health, creature comforts, and accepted for what and how it is . No fault or power to control its destiny.
The dog accepts you with all your faults .

#28 ·
yep, dogs do accept us and I always wonder whether my dog would've chosen me if he was the one choosing. I hope he would

anyway, so then how do you feel about rehoming dogs that are retired from breeding or washouts

or you keep them all? I'm not picking on you. I know you breed and I have an idea how some breeders operate and that there is only so much space.

wondering how it goes with your philosophy about the dogs deserving love and being accepted with all their faults

#29 ·
I will answer the question .
Over the years I have placed some dogs , very special to me , loved for the connection we had over the years, and honored for what they produced .
These lines are long lived , 12 , 13, 14 years on average.
WHEN the right person , the right time came along I would consider placing them in a home where they would be the center of attention for their remaining years . One female I placed at 7 years of age , to a family that adored her . I saw her once a year , then as time went on less frequent visits . Every year a Christmas card with the dog right there in the middle of the family , very satisfied look on her face . Even after she passed away at 13 the family still sends me an annual Christmas card . The daughter of the family wrote me an email about 2 years ago to thank me for the joy that my female brought to her family and to let me know that this female inspired her to become a Vet .
That is giving the dog a gift .

I have dogs which I am really excited about and have deep established connections with -- and then they leave me because from the outset this was part of the plan -- they go into service . Then I get feedback as the handlers volunteer it - not intrusive .

Recently I placed Gus's mother into a home were she travels with the lady everywhere , is a treasure in her home, loved by the vet and all who meet her .
I'll see if Gus's owner can post a picture of her basking in the limelight.

These dogs get to have continuity of good things that they are used to.

On the other hand I do have some dogs which will never be bred , and may have some problem which makes re-homing not as easy. They stay with me till their last day .
No breeding . Care that they need and deserve , a full and interesting life.

They are respected , accepted with all their faults, for what they are by nature .

#30 ·
Since you're keeping the dogs that won't be bred it seems like you're not 'washing out (what a term)'
I understand letting retired dogs to a really good home if and when the chance comes up but not specifically looking to get rid of them

I'm not judging breeders, by the way. I know there's only so much space and you need to make space for the dogs that can be used

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.