German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Is getting a 16wk old pup too old? Compared to standard 8 weeks? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/463081-getting-16wk-old-pup-too-old-compared-standard-8-weeks.html)

mikeb316 06-22-2014 08:36 AM

Is getting a 16wk old pup too old? Compared to standard 8 weeks?

This opportunity fell into our lap this past Friday and by tomorrow we will have to make a decision. Currently i have two shepherds male 6yrs and female 4 yrs. The reason I'm asking is because of the size difference and maturity level between 8 and 16 weeks and how my dogs will perceive him. Being a baby pup at 8 weeks I don't see any problem as I think mine would nurture and play gentle knowing he's just a little baby. But being 16weeks and over 25 lbs would they see him more of a big dog and a threat and not take as kindly to him? Playing with their toys, wanting to come right in and start rough housing, hyper and jumping around and wanting to play all the time, etc. Just don't know if its a good decision or should wait and get a baby from future planned litter this fall. Any opinions? Thanks.

mikeb316 06-22-2014 09:00 AM

Pretty much talking the bonding aspect. Or just have to take things slower? And reason this puppy is older and now looking for a home without going into much detail is because the breeder was keeping for show but things changed. She is not a fly by night breeder making up a story to sell us a dog she can't get rid of. She is a well respected and highly recommendend breeder that posts on this site. Will gladly discuss in more details through PM if need be.

dogfaeries 06-22-2014 09:10 AM

16 weeks is still very much a baby. If the puppy was kept by the breeder as a show prospect, then I would assume that he's been handled and worked with, so that's a plus. As far as bonding with you goes, I don't see that as an issue. I got a puppy at 8 months old one time, that had been held back by the breeder. He came to my house and didn't even skip a beat. :)

SunCzarina 06-22-2014 10:48 AM

If you love the pup, go for it. Coming out of that situation where the breeder groomed him for show, the poster above is right, the pup will have foundation training and you'll get a lot of support from the breeder.

scout172 06-22-2014 10:51 AM

16 weeks is still a puppy. You might want to get it at 16 weeks because he might have been better trained.

Nigel 06-22-2014 11:52 AM

We've have brought home pups in this age group twice now in the last two years with no issues. The newest pup was brought in at 16 weeks and our two year old male loves him, they constantly play together and as rough as they can get, it helps that the pup has a little size on him. One older female likes him and will play occasionally, but mostly ignores him, our other female likes her space, she prefers people over dogs and the pup has learned this, no aggression, no problems. Every dog is different, I won't say there can't be issues, but in our case, its been an easy fit both times.

trcy 06-22-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeb316 (Post 5675009)
Pretty much talking the bonding aspect. Or just have to take things slower? And reason this puppy is older and now looking for a home without going into much detail is because the breeder was keeping for show but things changed. She is not a fly by night breeder making up a story to sell us a dog she can't get rid of. She is a well respected and highly recommendend breeder that posts on this site. Will gladly discuss in more details through PM if need be.

I got my puppy from a reputable breeder when he was 3 months old. It worked out fine. They had 8 week old puppies there also, but the 3 month old just "called" to me. He is a year old now. They were also going to keep him for show/stud, but only one testicle had dropped. That didn't worry me. I was not planning on showing or breeding him.

The bonding may have taken a bit longer, but for me I think it was because I had just lost Riley and I was still grieving. We are bonded well now. :)

Charlie W 06-22-2014 06:56 PM

Can't see any problem with this situation as the puppy will have had a good start, we got our GSD at that age, she bonded fine and was still enough of a puppy for it not to cause problems with the older dog. As an added bonus, she was already house trained too!

sehrgutcsg 06-22-2014 08:05 PM

What really matter's is where the dog has been and how the dog was cared for > ? My first GSD, Maximillian, lll.. I loved him to death for 14 years, BUT at 4 months when I got him he was raised in a pen surrounded with other dogs, and "shovel shy."

He was shy around people he did not know, he'd look at them, as he bolted in a different direction like they had poison in their pockets, not everybody, but few were able to love on him. Barked at other dogs like he was the king of the World.

Nope, been there done that, the key word here is trial basis. I want em' young so they can be wagging their tail at everybody, until the dinner menu arrives, the hackles go up and it's going to be a blood bath... lol

SGCSG