German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Your favorite dog supplies (bowls/beds/toys/treats) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/462817-your-favorite-dog-supplies-bowls-beds-toys-treats.html)

NovaB 06-21-2014 11:16 AM

Your favorite dog supplies (bowls/beds/toys/treats)

So I am getting a new working line puppy in about a week and wanted to get everybody's opinions. I haven't had a dog in almost 20 years, so I'm sure some great new things have been invented in that time. I need to do some shopping for the new little guy but want to get him only the best and stuff that has been proven! Please share with me your favorite bowls/feeding stations, beds, toys, treats, leashes, collars, etc. And perhaps any other unique dog related items that make you say "I don't know how I ever lived without this thing!" Thank you in advance for your help!

StingRay 06-21-2014 11:47 AM

I'm interested in this as well

Castlemaid 06-21-2014 11:51 AM

Congrats on getting a pup! Couple of things came to mind right away: an undercoat rake for grooming and brushing, and a Chuckit for exercise.

simba405 06-21-2014 12:13 PM

Cookies for the neighbors as your dog will be screaming at the top of its lungs at night while crate training.

A camera to take lots of photos and videos because I promise you will blink and your dog will be 80 pounds.

Stainless steel feeding bowl so your pup doesn't think it's a toy and chews it up

Toys IMO are useless at this age. An empty water bottle or milk carton is enough for them to have fun. They grow so fast I'd wait till they are bigger to actually get them real toys.

Atika 06-21-2014 01:34 PM

NovaB, I have been doing retail for dogs for the last few years. All USA made, non-toxic toys. Some of the best (longest lasting) in my opinion are:
Zogoflex by Westpaw
Goughnuts
Kong - not all are made in US
Tugs - Katies Bumpers & k9 training equipment online for bite suit material or jute.
The pups will usually get the handles off the tugs, so these are more for interactive play and reward.

Someone else mentioned taking your dog to the store and letting them pick what they like which is fun. You may want to go with softer bite toys until teething is complete.

Costco has good prices on their beds.

Congratulations!

AngelaA6 06-21-2014 02:41 PM

I like the original Kong and the Kong Goodie Bone. (Made in USA)
The Nylabone Chew Bone (Made in USA)
Antlers (Deer is softer than Elk but you still have to watch, they can crack their teeth on them)

I use basic stainless steel feeding bowls nothing fancy, they're just on a mat in the kitchen so they don't slide around.

I just use a nylon leash/collar but leather is softer on the hands.

I like Wet Nose, Wag More Bark Less, Natural Balance Rolls, Plato Salmon Strips (Dehydrated Salmon, smells gross but my dog loves them) for treats. I also clicker train :)

For food before I learned about high calcium being an issue I had my dog on Canidae All Life Stages but then switched him to Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy (1.4% calcium) and once he was done with the puppy food I switched him to Kirkland's Natural Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato (1.2% calcium).

I got my dog a bed and he shredded it ($60 dollars that lasted a night :( ) so now I just have a fleece blanket from Goodwill that he lays on and various army blankets that were my husband's grandpa's.

Oh and a crate :D definitely definitely a crate is necessary haha.

Ellimaybel 06-21-2014 04:04 PM

Gunther has no interest in picking out his own toys. Maybe because I worry he'll just go through and chew up everything he gets his mouth on so he has a good leave it in the store. Be wary of toys promising durability. I dropped $15 on a toy that was rated 9/10 on toughness scale. It had layers of suitcase grade leather, plastic, nylon, and repeat two more times. He had it destroyed within 3 hours of coming home. At least he had fun with it! One of his favorite toys that lasted longer was a rhino with a removable shell. The shell velcroed to the back and was a Frisbee. That toy lasted him months. He enjoyed taking the shell off. Also since the shell had the sticky part of the Velcro, I would take it and stick it to the sides of furniture and such and he would go searching for it.

Sunflowers 06-21-2014 04:29 PM

179 Attachment(s)
Loving Pets large bowls:

Freeze dried tripe treats:

Bobalot:

Bed: chew proof, get the XXL

Kuranda Dog Beds - Orthopedic and Chew Proof

Periwinkle dragon:

Wigzi. He will need the large when he grows.

Small Jolly Ball, get the blue so he can see it:

Puppy tug:

Gripper leash, made to order just for you::wild:

http://k9noz.com/noz_004.htm

HarleyTheGSD 06-21-2014 04:36 PM

I just bought Varick an AKC crate mat. It is thick, and has a removable sheath, for easy cleaning. And, he hasn't destroyed it yet!

Liesje 06-21-2014 05:06 PM

Not counting larger supplies (like my collection of 15+ dog crates, expens, etc), if I could only grab ten dog items I already have to keep, they would be.....

- Tuflex biothane collar with brass ID plate and safety ring (Gun Dog Supply)
- 6'x1" black biothane leash (Redline K9 or Julius K9)
- Large Nylabone for strong chewers
- ChuckIt ZipFlight toy (works in water or as a disc on land)
- Julius K9 IDC belt harness
- Herm Sprenger curogan prong collar, medium links
- Buster cube toy
- Undercoat rake brush
- Bad Cuz toy, I use a large one but would get smaller for a new puppy
- Nature's Miracle