German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Can I give my pup bones (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/461378-can-i-give-my-pup-bones.html)

Diesel7602 06-17-2014 03:09 PM

Can I give my pup bones

Perseus is 18 weeks. Can he have ham bones, knuckles, etc.... I don't know since he has some adult teeth, and baby teeth. I need to find something that he would be interested in and take time to go threw.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Maxil 06-17-2014 03:36 PM

afaik , bones are ok for 3months+, but it must be cleaned well from the chicken's/meat's skin as the vet said, so just clean it well and give it to him , but take care because many people warned me about giving him bones , better just give him sth solid

Shade 06-17-2014 03:47 PM

I use beef, chicken, and lamb bones but no pork.

For recreational chewing I use knuckle and marrow bones, put them in the freezer to make them last longer. I don't worry about stripping the bones, neither of my dogs have ever had a issue eating the meat and skin off them

Diesel7602 06-17-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5652186)

For recreational chewing I use knuckle and marrow bones, put them in the freezer to make them last longer. I don't worry about stripping the bones, neither of my dogs have ever had a issue eating the meat and skin off them

So a big beef knuckle should be fine? Should I freeze it first?

Shade 06-17-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5652202)
So a big beef knuckle should be fine? Should I freeze it first?

Sure, I freeze them to make them last longer. I'd supervise to make sure the pup isn't chewing off pieces or chewing too hard but otherwise let him enjoy it and relax in the peace and quiet for as long as it lasts ;)

Diesel7602 06-17-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5652354)
Sure, I freeze them to make them last longer. I'd supervise to make sure the pup isn't chewing off pieces or chewing too hard but otherwise let him enjoy it and relax in the peace and quiet for as long as it lasts ;)

Thank you. I just need him to be good while I lift weights. It's hard when he jumps on ya and want so play during a heavy lift lol.

Broncs 06-18-2014 12:21 PM

Try elk antlers, my dogs love them, they last a long time and don't splinter or break!

Diesel7602 06-18-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncs (Post 5656737)
Try elk antlers, my dogs love them, they last a long time and don't splinter or break!

I would love to give him them, but they are like 30$ here for like a few inch. =(

Pax8 06-18-2014 12:28 PM

33 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5656745)
I would love to give him them, but they are like 30$ here for like a few inch. =(

Try looking online for antlers. There are actually quite a few people on Etsy who pick up sheds and sell them for fairly cheap.

eddie1976E 06-18-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5652186)

Are the marrow bones cooked?