Bringing home puppy advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 02:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bringing home puppy advice

Hey everybody!
Counting down the days until I get to pick up my boy and bring him home! His 8 week birthday is Fourth of July and I'm going to get him on the fifth. The only drawback is that it's going to be a 6 1/2 to 7 hour car ride. I know it's not the best situation but I am doing everything in my power to make it enjoyable and easy. Thankfully I have a boyfriend who is just as excited about him and is going with me to help drive and watch after the puppy. I'm looking for advice on a few things, as this is my first large breed puppy i've had solely in my care.

I realize I need some form of a crate for transport. The problem though is that my car is a 4 door sedan that is designed as more of a sportscar so there is comfortable room in the back seats but it's not anywhere near big enough for a crate that I will be able to use past the first month or so home. My question is what type of crate would be best? I've looked into soft sided ones as well as kennels and what size would be ample enough to keep him comfortable? Not looking to spend a lot as it would be temporary but willing to do what I need to do to get the best for him.

I will have a towel and stuffed animal that has been around mom and litter mates that will come home with us to help him settle in. I've heard good things about the puppy buddy stuffed animals that can be heated with the heartbeat sound but would a ticking clock be okay too, or is that even needed?

I have already packed a travel kit with LOTS of cheap towels, paper towels and water bottles. I've bought a leash and collar for him, with name tag all ready to go! Is there any other travel advice anyone could offer? Should I bring a toy too? I've done my best to fish through a good portion of the puppy threads and have gathered lots of fantastic advice! Thankful to have found this site as early as I did!
Thanks!

Last edited by sarahp; 06-17-2014 at 02:28 AM.
sarahp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here's my little man! Going on A road trip and visiting him tomorrow! His name will be August, in honor of my grandmother that passed away a few weeks ago. He's already stolen my heart
Attached Thumbnails
Bringing home puppy advice-image.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

What a cutie-pie! You may want a smaller crate for him to sleep in anyway, so would it be possible to get one that will fit in the car for now, and then buy a bigger crate when he outgrows it? A soft crate won't be any protection at all, and a determined puppy could chew its way out. Some people prefer wire crates but I've always used plastic VariKennels. Do you know anyone who could loan you a crate temporarily? You could also check Craigslist for a used one. Keefer and Halo were shipped, and I used their airline crate at home and in the car until they outgrew them, and then shipped them back to the breeder.

We had a 10 hour drive home with Dena. I sat in the back seat next to the crate (SUV with one seat down) while my husband drove. All we had was towels, paper towels and a spray bottle of water, and some treats. Mostly she slept or screamed, lol.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Lol cute !! Need more pics tho.. Sorry cant help much with your question
Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you plan to crate train him I would get as big a crate as you can fit in your car and I would buy a used one! I don't know about where you live but we have at least 20 different Facebook classified pages for the area and two are just for pet stuff! I see crates all the time for sale. Maybe you can pick up a smaller one for cheap just to get him home and when he out grows it. My 9 week old travels with me in a large crate all the time.

Hope this helped!
Broncs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

personally, I'd sit in the back and hold him in my lap!

Little crate if you get tired or cannot hold him.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Im almost in the same boat as you. my puppy will be 8 weeks old july 1st and I will be picking her up july 6th. It will be a 6 1/2 hour drive. I am planning on flying to the breeder and driving in a rental home. I also was not going to bring a crate and just have the puppy hang out with my girlfriend in the back seat or front seat. Any thoughts on that?

We also were planning on stopping every once and awhile to go to let the puppy go to the bathroom (if she doesnt do it by herself) and lots of towels and some food + toys...

so basically, is a crate necessary or can I use one of those back seat hammock type things or can we use nothing at all?
pr3dict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
You may want a smaller crate for him to sleep in anyway, so would it be possible to get one that will fit in the car for now, and then buy a bigger crate when he outgrows it? Do you know anyone who could loan you a crate temporarily? You could also check Craigslist for a used one.
That's what I was thinking. I could fit a 24" for sure and I could probably fit a 28 in the backseat. I figured it would last probably the first month of him being home until he outgrows it. I haven't found a downside to crate training so that's what I'm planning on doing. I did think about Craigslist! And yay, a screaming puppy! Can't wait hopefully the cuteness factor will outweigh that
Old 06-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncs View Post
If you plan to crate train him I would get as big a crate as you can fit in your car and I would buy a used one! I don't know about where you live but we have at least 20 different Facebook classified pages for the area and two are just for pet stuff! I see crates all the time for sale. Maybe you can pick up a smaller one for cheap just to get him home and when he out grows it. My 9 week old travels with me in a large crate all the time.

Hope this helped!
I'm in Atlanta! I have tried to look for a type of classified or a Facebook group related to pets and haven't had any luck. Cheap would be good since he'll outgrow it so soon. I'll keep looking around. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

take lots of paper towels as well Ya just never know!

I wouldn't use a soft sided crate, that can be easily scratched thru, if they are having a hissy fit..

Definitely ck craigslist, and then if / when he out grows it, resell it

Congrats on your puppies..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.