German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Bringing home puppy advice (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/461170-bringing-home-puppy-advice.html)

sarahp 06-17-2014 02:20 AM

Bringing home puppy advice

Hey everybody!
Counting down the days until I get to pick up my boy and bring him home! His 8 week birthday is Fourth of July and I'm going to get him on the fifth. The only drawback is that it's going to be a 6 1/2 to 7 hour car ride. I know it's not the best situation but I am doing everything in my power to make it enjoyable and easy. Thankfully I have a boyfriend who is just as excited about him and is going with me to help drive and watch after the puppy. I'm looking for advice on a few things, as this is my first large breed puppy i've had solely in my care.

I realize I need some form of a crate for transport. The problem though is that my car is a 4 door sedan that is designed as more of a sportscar so there is comfortable room in the back seats but it's not anywhere near big enough for a crate that I will be able to use past the first month or so home. My question is what type of crate would be best? I've looked into soft sided ones as well as kennels and what size would be ample enough to keep him comfortable? Not looking to spend a lot as it would be temporary but willing to do what I need to do to get the best for him.

I will have a towel and stuffed animal that has been around mom and litter mates that will come home with us to help him settle in. I've heard good things about the puppy buddy stuffed animals that can be heated with the heartbeat sound but would a ticking clock be okay too, or is that even needed?

I have already packed a travel kit with LOTS of cheap towels, paper towels and water bottles. I've bought a leash and collar for him, with name tag all ready to go! Is there any other travel advice anyone could offer? Should I bring a toy too? I've done my best to fish through a good portion of the puppy threads and have gathered lots of fantastic advice! Thankful to have found this site as early as I did!
Thanks!

sarahp 06-17-2014 02:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my little man! Going on A road trip and visiting him tomorrow! His name will be August, in honor of my grandmother that passed away a few weeks ago. He's already stolen my heart :wub:

Cassidy's Mom 06-17-2014 07:01 PM

What a cutie-pie! You may want a smaller crate for him to sleep in anyway, so would it be possible to get one that will fit in the car for now, and then buy a bigger crate when he outgrows it? A soft crate won't be any protection at all, and a determined puppy could chew its way out. Some people prefer wire crates but I've always used plastic VariKennels. Do you know anyone who could loan you a crate temporarily? You could also check Craigslist for a used one. Keefer and Halo were shipped, and I used their airline crate at home and in the car until they outgrew them, and then shipped them back to the breeder.

We had a 10 hour drive home with Dena. I sat in the back seat next to the crate (SUV with one seat down) while my husband drove. All we had was towels, paper towels and a spray bottle of water, and some treats. Mostly she slept or screamed, lol.

Ace GSD 06-17-2014 07:13 PM

Lol cute !! Need more pics tho.. Sorry cant help much with your question

Broncs 06-17-2014 09:06 PM

If you plan to crate train him I would get as big a crate as you can fit in your car and I would buy a used one! I don't know about where you live but we have at least 20 different Facebook classified pages for the area and two are just for pet stuff! I see crates all the time for sale. Maybe you can pick up a smaller one for cheap just to get him home and when he out grows it. My 9 week old travels with me in a large crate all the time.

Hope this helped!

zyppi 06-17-2014 09:10 PM

personally, I'd sit in the back and hold him in my lap!

Little crate if you get tired or cannot hold him.

pr3dict 06-17-2014 09:36 PM

Im almost in the same boat as you. my puppy will be 8 weeks old july 1st and I will be picking her up july 6th. It will be a 6 1/2 hour drive. I am planning on flying to the breeder and driving in a rental home. I also was not going to bring a crate and just have the puppy hang out with my girlfriend in the back seat or front seat. Any thoughts on that?

We also were planning on stopping every once and awhile to go to let the puppy go to the bathroom (if she doesnt do it by herself) and lots of towels and some food + toys...

so basically, is a crate necessary or can I use one of those back seat hammock type things or can we use nothing at all?

sarahp 06-18-2014 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom (Post 5653873)
You may want a smaller crate for him to sleep in anyway, so would it be possible to get one that will fit in the car for now, and then buy a bigger crate when he outgrows it? Do you know anyone who could loan you a crate temporarily? You could also check Craigslist for a used one.

That's what I was thinking. I could fit a 24" for sure and I could probably fit a 28 in the backseat. I figured it would last probably the first month of him being home until he outgrows it. I haven't found a downside to crate training so that's what I'm planning on doing. I did think about Craigslist! And yay, a screaming puppy! Can't wait :wild: hopefully the cuteness factor will outweigh that

sarahp 06-18-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncs (Post 5654681)
If you plan to crate train him I would get as big a crate as you can fit in your car and I would buy a used one! I don't know about where you live but we have at least 20 different Facebook classified pages for the area and two are just for pet stuff! I see crates all the time for sale. Maybe you can pick up a smaller one for cheap just to get him home and when he out grows it. My 9 week old travels with me in a large crate all the time.

Hope this helped!

I'm in Atlanta! I have tried to look for a type of classified or a Facebook group related to pets and haven't had any luck. Cheap would be good since he'll outgrow it so soon. I'll keep looking around. Thanks for the advice!

JakodaCD OA 06-18-2014 07:57 AM

take lots of paper towels as well:) Ya just never know!

I wouldn't use a soft sided crate, that can be easily scratched thru, if they are having a hissy fit..

Definitely ck craigslist, and then if / when he out grows it, resell it

Congrats on your puppies..