German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Lady at the dog park says my 8 month old Lucy has hip dysplasia (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/460842-lady-dog-park-says-my-8-month-old-lucy-has-hip-dysplasia.html)

SirLancelot 06-15-2014 11:55 PM

Lady at the dog park says my 8 month old Lucy has hip dysplasia

Lucy is 8 months old and for many months we've noticed that she walks and stands a bit pigeon toed in her hind legs. She displays no discomfort, decreased ability to walk, run, get up, lay down, etc. I asked the vet about it and was told a gait or stance like this "is normal for Shepherds".

Tonight at the dog park a lady declared very matter-of-factly "That's hip dysplasia". I told her what the vet told me, but she did her best to try to convince me otherwise.

My question: does anyone else have a pup with that pigeon toed stance, and is it indicative of dysplasia?

boomer11 06-16-2014 12:01 AM

Post a video and let all the wanna be vets on this board have a look

Lucy Dog 06-16-2014 12:17 AM

A video isn't going to tell much either.

If you're really worried about it, get x-rays done. If this were my pup and he wasn't showing any signs of pain or discomfort, I wouldn't worry about it.

boomer11 06-16-2014 12:19 AM

I disagree. A video can tell a lot.

Lucy Dog 06-16-2014 12:23 AM

What's a video going to tell with an 8 month old puppy? A lot of them are just goofy and lanky at that age? Even if the dog is showing signs of pain, which it's not, it could just be something like pano. X-rays are the only way to diagnose HD.

boomer11 06-16-2014 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 5646618)
What's a video going to tell with an 8 month old puppy? A lot of them are just goofy and lanky at that age? Even if the dog is showing signs of pain, which it's not, it could just be something like pano. X-rays are the only way to diagnose HD.

Just because you can't tell anything doesn't mean someone else can't. You can SEE symptoms of hd depending on the severity.

Freestep 06-16-2014 01:09 AM

You CANNOT diagnose HD by looking at a dog or watching him move.

HD is diagnosed by x-rays.

Dogs can appear very strong, sound and agile, with flawless movement, and still have HD. The opposite is also true. And being pigeon-toed has nothing to do with it. Sometimes you can glean clues from the way a dog moves (bunny hopping, limping, etc) but just as many dogs never show any symptoms.

Not even vets can diagnose HD without an xray. I don't know where the lady at the dog park got her veterinary license, but she must be really good if she can diagnose HD by just sitting at the park watching dogs run around. :rolleyes: And to think, most have to spend at least 8 years in school and pay through the nose before they get to diagnose medical problems. Suckers. ;)

boomer11 06-16-2014 01:23 AM

8 years?! Wow and to think they still push science diet and neutering ASAP. Maybe they need another 8?

Im sure the lady slept in a holiday Inn express last night

sparra 06-16-2014 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 5646658)
Just because you can't tell anything doesn't mean someone else can't. You can SEE symptoms of hd depending on the severity.

Did somebody mention "wanna be vets"......... ;)

lalachka 06-16-2014 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparra (Post 5646826)
Did somebody mention "wanna be vets"......... ;)

Lolololol)))))))))))

Sent from Petguide.com Free App