German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Bathing your dog? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/460074-bathing-your-dog.html)

wyowolf 06-13-2014 08:57 AM

Bathing your dog?

Kansas is kind of a smelly puppy :(
after reading through several threads about it, it seems that most do not bathe, our Breeder advised us the same.

just wondering what you do about the smell if anything? or does that go away when she gets older?

she is 11 weeks now...

Yoshi 06-13-2014 09:07 AM

I used to bath my dog. He never really enjoyed it but once it came drying time he would launch himself in the towel. Not sure why you wouldn't give your dog a bath? :confused:

I know it's not particularly good to bathe your dog regularly but once in a while is good. I would bathe my dog when he was really dirty or if someone told me he stunk something awful. Yeah, I need people to tell me because I have no sense of smell. :)

There was this one time that my dog actually apparently rolled in people feces. :crazy: I thought it could have been any kind of metabolic waste but people confirmed it smelled like people feces. Where on earth he found it I couldn't guess!

EDIT: Can you tell what smell it is? Wet dog? Maybe she is blowing off?

wyowolf 06-13-2014 09:16 AM

Blowing off?

yeah, kind of like wet dog... the wife is the one who smells it worst. I dont mind it so much :)

Shade 06-13-2014 09:19 AM

I bathe as needed, for my GSD that's usually 2x times a year unless it's an emergency :sick: In the summer I use the hose outside and in the winter I use the bath tub

Get a good shampoo and give the pup a bath, it won't hurt her and both of your noses will thank you. It's good to get them accustomed to being groomed - bath, brush, nails clipped, ears cleaned, etc. while they're still young and learning. Use lots of treats and patience so she'll associate it with all sorts of good things

Make sure all her bedding is washed as well if she's stinky; otherwise it defeats the purpose of her smelling so nice ;) lol

Yoshi 06-13-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyowolf (Post 5637714)
Blowing off?

A politer word for farting. :p Or I should have said passing gas, my apologies!

Galathiel 06-13-2014 10:51 AM

Sometimes dogs smell due to poor diet (as in a diet that has an ingredient they don't tolerate well) or allergies. You might also check into that. When dry, mine has no smell at all, except occasionally a faint scent of grass or hay.

wyowolf 06-13-2014 10:58 AM

I feed her the half RAW/Kibble diet the breeder put her on. I will probably switch it up a little in time... but I have only had her a week :)

Alice13 06-13-2014 11:00 AM

Give him a bath. I bathe mine every week as per the advice of her breeder. The climate here is such. It's 27-30C here everyday and it rains often (she loves the rain) so she rely needs baths often. Just don't let water enter his ears n spray water directly at his face n he shuld be fine. If you are reluctant to do it then maybe u can opt for dog cologne or maybe try changing her food.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

blackshep 06-13-2014 11:16 AM

Not bathing is outdated. That was from back when shampoos were really harsh and drying, they aren't anymore. Bathing your pet helps keep their skin clean and better able to breathe, it washes off contact allergens.

If your dog is very stinky, it could have yeasty skin (avoid oatmeal shampoos)

You can also do rinses 1 cup organic ACV with mother to 1 gallon water. Does not need to be rinsed.

blackshep 06-13-2014 11:23 AM

PS, I agree about taking a look at the dogs diet.