Introducing Puppy to Cat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Introducing Puppy to Cat

I currently have an 11 year old Border Collie and two cats. The male cat doesn't care for the dog much and hisses if the dog gets too close. The dog usually just tries to stay away from the cat to avoid the drama. I think we did a poor job of letting the cat meet the dog when he was a kitten, and he became scared. Now he's aggressive towards the dog. The female cat could care less about the dog, and they can even brush against each other as they walk by without either of them seeming to even notice. They don't play together though.

I'm concerned about how to introduce my puppy (coming in two days) to the male cat. I don't need them to be best friends, but I'd at least like both of them to know that the other isn't a threat so they can live together peacefully.

Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you.
Toolman5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Make sure the cat has tons of escape routes and ease in running off to somewhere safe. High areas are safe. So having child gates (placed with a space along the bottom that the cat can fit under and puppy can't) works well.

And you DO need to monitor and can start working on the 'leave it' command. MUCH EASIER to work on this when the puppy is so small and will tend to respect the loud hissing scratching cat that's the same size. Rather than waiting when the puppy is much larger then the cat and can accidentally cause injury.

There are great gates that have a 'cat' door in them (also puppy sized initially so I had to double gate for a month or so) and I used that in the doorway that leads to my laundry room and the litter boxes. I like the extra tall one, easy to open and close and tall enough when the puppy does grow so they aren't tempted to hop up.

More ideas:

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyv...y_to_cat-13443

http://www.wikihow.com/Introduce-a-N...e-Resident-Cat
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 06-11-2014 at 11:37 AM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes, that gate would be very helpful. Also as Maggie said, be sure the cats have an escape route. When my Sting was a pup I had a cat who was elderly. She liked dogs but I was very careful. I kept Sting on a leash so I could stop him from chasing her. I also made sure to always give the cat attention first to show Sting that the cat was senior. I introduced him to the cat who was curious and waited at the door. This may sound silly, but it did work. So I had him on his leash - he sniffed and barked. I said calmly: Mavis this is Sting. Sting this is Mavis. When he tried to chase her - I said "Mine" and picked her up, and gave a toy to Sting, saying this is "yours." You have another dog so that will help and the pup will hopefully follow the lead of your older dog and also that your female cat likes dogs.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.