German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Choosing color... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/458609-choosing-color.html)

Broncs 06-09-2014 10:30 AM

Choosing color...

Ok got a dilemma here, I went to a breeder months ago because I liked her sable GSD's I told them I was there for a sable dog, gave my deposit and so forth. Now the puppy's are ready to go home and I am left with a non sable puppy (I was 3rd pick in males) am I fool for being disappointed because I I'm not getting the color I want? When I sit back and look I feel I'm being an idiot by considering passing up on a great dog just because of the color fur he was born with... I won't love him any differently! What would you do?

jafo220 06-09-2014 10:35 AM

I would take the pup. The pup may grow into something your glad you didn't pass up on.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

ApselBear 06-09-2014 10:39 AM

If you don't mind waiting, and the breeder doesn't mind extending your deposit to the next litter, I don't see the harm in waiting for the dog your want. The breeder will have no problem finding a good home for the pup you pass on.

If you know what you want, stick to your guns so there is not chance of regrets.
Yes it is just aesthetics, but if you're paying, you should pay for what you like.

Ultimately you will be happy either way when you bring home a dog to love.

CharlieB.Barkin 06-09-2014 10:42 AM

Take the dog.

Broncs 06-09-2014 10:44 AM

Lol see I agree with both of you! Which is what makes this so hard!

Shade 06-09-2014 10:53 AM

I wanted a sable as well, Delgado was the only bicolour in the litter and I'll admit I overlooked him on the first visit without a second glance just based on his colour. When the breeder said he was one of the three she was considering for me I paid attention to him and realized what a sweetheart and good match he was, there was one sable pup and bicolour that the breeder and I ended up agreeing on and I trusted her to pick the best one for me.

I don't regret getting a bicolour for a moment now, Delgado is a wonderful dog and a great match. His brother may have been just as good but I'm happy with the dog I got and the colouring doesn't even faze me.

LaRen616 06-09-2014 10:54 AM

I would not settle with something you are unhappy with, if you want a sable then get a sable, you don't want to chance the possibility of being disappointed with your puppy because it doesn't look the way you want it to.

What do you mean by "3rd pick in males?"

Do you get to choose whatever puppy you want or does the breeder match the puppy to the correct home?

If you get to pick whatever puppy you want then I would go with a different breeder. The breeder is around the puppies the most (or at least they should be) so they know those puppies best and know their personalities, energy levels, etc. and they should be able to match the puppy to a home where it will succeed and thrive.

If you are looking for a more mellow, medium drive, medium energy puppy then you don't want to accidentally take home a high drive, high energy puppy always on the go, it will drive you crazy. JMO.

LaRen616 06-09-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5619753)
I wanted a sable as well, Delgado was the only bicolour in the litter and I'll admit I overlooked him on the first visit without a second glance just based on his colour. When the breeder said he was one of the three she was considering for me I paid attention to him and realized what a sweetheart and good match he was, there was one sable pup and bicolour that the breeder and I ended up agreeing on and I trusted her to pick the best one for me.

I don't regret getting a bicolour for a moment now, Delgado is a wonderful dog and a great match. His brother may have been just as good but I'm happy with the dog I got and the colouring doesn't even faze me.

And Delgado is a magnificent bicolor!!! :wub:

Broncs 06-09-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5619769)
I would not settle with something you are unhappy with, if you want a sable then get a sable, you don't want to chance the possibility of being disappointed with your puppy because it doesn't look the way you want it to.

What do you mean by "3rd pick in males?"

Do you get to choose whatever puppy you want or does the breeder match the puppy to the correct home?

If you get to pick whatever puppy you want then I would go with a different breeder. The breeder is around the puppies the most (or at least they should be) so they know those puppies best and know their personalities, energy levels, etc. and they should be able to match the puppy to a home where it will succeed and thrive.

If you are looking for a more mellow, medium drive, medium energy puppy then you don't want to accidentally take home a high drive, high energy puppy always on the go, it will drive you crazy. JMO.

3rd pick means exactly what you think it does... Out of 3 males I get the one that is left overso to speak. I have read a lot of good things about this breeder and her dogs on this site. Also I do not agree completely with the breeder choosing the puppy for the new owner. That was how it was done with our Rhodesian Ridgeback I love her to death and she is daddy's girl but I live in the middle of nowhere MT. And have a dog that's afraid of every bump in the night!

middleofnowhere 06-09-2014 12:29 PM

I like to think that color doesn't matter to me but I do recognize that I want a "colored" dog vs liver, blue or white. Sable, black & tan, bi-color, solid black - any pattern pretty much is OK with me. (So in a way it does matter - just not as narrow a preference as the OP).

I guess it boils down to how much do you like the breeder & the breeder's dogs? and how much do you want a puppy NOW!!! When would the next litter be available? Do you like that match? What if it produces just one male and he's not a sable? Or is there a sable female available? Then - what about this NOT A SABLE pup? Do his drives match up to what you want? Do you LIKE him except for the paint job?

These are the questions I'd go over with myself.