German Shepherds Forum banner

A dramatic first day

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  AnyaGSD 
#1 ·
So I picked up my wonderfully fluffy, cute little puppy today. I had Mojo for a whopping five hours before we wound up at the emergency vet. He's had a dramatic, and slightly traumatic first day.
I picked him up from the breeder with no problem, he seemed healthy and happy. I had a visit scheduled with the vet for a new puppy check up a few hours later and it went excellently. Mojo was playing with my other dog, interacting with myself and my mother and even went potty outside. I thought we were cruising right along.
Not long after I got home from his scheduled vet visit I caught him assuming the position in the kitchen, I whisked him up and outside to do his duty there. He passed a small BM but then continued to strain. He continued to strain for the next twenty minutes and I realized something must be wrong. His bottom was extremely swollen and he had some impacted BM he could not pass.
I called my dog friends and we all reached the same conclusion, back to the vet. I took him off to the vet, and quickly learned he had what appeared to be sand in his bowel. They expressed the piece he couldn't, and were about to send him home when the vet felt more sand in his colon. So, she suggested an enema and said they would keep him until he was done.
So I went home, without my little guy. I had attempted to call the breeder but hadn't been called back yet. We were picking him up from the vet when I finally had her call me back. She appologized and offered to pay for the visit. But also mentioned that a few days ago the puppies had gotten in to quick-crete, but she thought she had it picked up before they ate any.
So, either way my young guy had apparently eaten sand or quick-crete and caused a bowel obstruction. He's happy, and healthy after the enema. He was starved when we finally got home, he hadn't eaten since we had left the breeders. And tired. But, we've made it through most of the first day and minus the health scare, I couldn't be happier. Let's hope this is not a predictor of things to come!

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Hope the breeder is watching his littermates and being proactive for their health. Not a great way to start your journey. I hope Mojo gets his mojo back asap!

#10 ·
He's been great today. House training has been a little difficult because he is still having loose stool from the enema, but we are getting there. He's such a little character. The breeder and vet have both been in contact today to check on him. He hasn't seemed to have any complications. He's a small guy at only 7.9lb, but eats like a horse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.