Does the GSD grow out of the roughness stage after the age of six months? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg
Default Does the GSD grow out of the roughness stage after the age of six months?

Bella, is really playing rough and I am trying to deal with this. She hurt my daughter last night, jumping up on the couch, fast. Today, on a walk, she jumped on a wall on command and pawed me in the face. Tonight, she knocked my wife's glasses off her face again jumping on the couch in a full running tirade. Simple question? Do they grow out of this? Will she after being reprimanded, for not being gentle, be more cautious. Is this a stage of growth. She knocks you down like a train..

SGCSG
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

You will get advice from people more experienced than me, but I do have 2 suggestions for you. First, a tired dog is a happy dog--how much exercise is she getting? She should have a place she can safely run and play, and run and play, and run and play... You get the idea.

Second, have you started any obedience training? Until she is dead certain with commands, you can put a tether or a handle on her--a light nylon leash works, or a nylon rope with a knot at the end, something you can step on easily to stop her. When you are sitting down, put the tether under your foot, or even sit on it. This stops the mad dashes through the house, the jumping on the couch, the jumping up on people, all that. You have to be consistent about it, and use a command when you stop her from jumping--"OFF!" And mean it.

And, again, a lot of exercise and learning and exercise will help curb the unwanted behavior in the house.

And, no, this stage doesn't magically disappear at the age of six months... It goes away with a combination of good training, exercise, more exercise, and maturity, anywhere from 18-24 months old. But take heart--you will end up with a great dog, a wonderful companion, but you have to put much effort and love and patience into the process!

Susan

Last edited by Susan_GSD_mom; 06-04-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

no a dog doesn't grow out of misbehaving....
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They do mature. But if the puppy's exhuberance is getting people hurt, then you probably need to set some boundaries. I agree with upping the exercise and the training.

Instead of reacting to behavior, tell the dog what you want the dog to do. Before she starts a mad dash, tell her SIT, DOWN. Good girl, Go to your place! Good! Find your toys.

Exercise the brain and the body.

Maybe allowing this dog on the couch at this stage is not a good idea.

And they do grow out of some of the craziness. But you have to be patient, firm, consistent, and all that jazz. Continued training and good leadership and in another 8.5 years, she will be the best dog in the neighborhood.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I will say that, if you have the high drive dog you have portrayed her to be, that retribution (whatever that means) can be rewarding and engaging to the dog if they want a fight. Any attention is rewarding to that dog..so let them earn attention and engagement for doing the right thing.

Not saying not to ever correct the dog but I have found that things you may perceive as negative may not be that way to the dog.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
no a dog doesn't grow out of misbehaving....
Pretty much this
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Before she starts a mad dash, tell her SIT, DOWN. Good girl, Go to your place! Good! Find your toys.
This is what I had to do when Empire was younger because like your puppy, he'd launch himself at us on the bed or couch. He now will ask permission before jumping by just sitting and looking at us.

A side note about the "Go to your place" command that Selzer recommended. It's super useful for answering the door also. I put a cot for him with a clear view of the door and taught "Place". That keeps him from crowding the door when you have a visitor.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Okay, thanks for all the suggestions. Because, Isabella was introduced as a second dog in the household certain behavior's with Nelson already existed. Bella goes to her crate on her own now - as her cool down place (door open). As far as someone at the front door, not yet. Yesterday, was bad. A jelly jar on the counter was knocked off by Bella and I did the clean up. Bella was under the dining room table chomping on a pretty large piece of glass, I discovered after the mess was cleaned up. See, she thought it was an ice cube > ? I opened her mouth, laid her on her back and looked, no damage whatsoever. As far as exercise, she is at 80%, meaning if we do more, it's already close to the edge. At 5:00 or 6:00 PM, this is when Bella and Nelson have their mock fighting time, just about every night. They play tug a war, Bella is being taught to growl, by Nelson, and they run. So ideally, this should be outside, but that is not possible until the move occurs this summer. Tethering was done at an earlier stage of Bella's life. She looks for approval, but when the wild side kicks in, it's go time and she needs an upper arm cross block to the head. My other GSD's did not have this drive factor. She leaps in a nano second. So, it's not perfect, we work everyday. There are a few thing's I am addressing, regarding her training, but she is a puppy in an adult sized body, with the brain of a 5 month old dog, who absolutely will defend her position, and yes, when she is a bad girl, she know's it. Some dogs are not allowed on the furniture, this went out the window 7 seven years ago, because my wife always' had her dog Spankie right next to her, wherever she was, and I had to deal with keeping a happy wife and a happy home, or it's off to the RV for me ! We are coping well, here !

Blessed are the owner's of the dog's we love !

SGCSG
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.