how young is too young? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default how young is too young?

my breeder has suggested bringing our pup home at 4 weeks, because he was the only one in the litter, and he is a big boy, and is developing fast. thoughts?
ConnersThor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnersThor View Post
my breeder has suggested bringing our pup home at 4 weeks, because he was the only one in the litter, and he is a big boy, and is developing fast. thoughts?
Much to young in my opinion. Although he is the only puppy, mom has much to teach him before he leaves.

Carmspack Gus
Old 06-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not a breeder - no experience at all.

But as a puppy buyer I would not want to take my pup home at 4 weeks. All pups grow fast but they need to be with the mother IMO for development and health reasons. I don't know why that would be different for a singleton?

7-8 weeks is a good time to go home. Good luck.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Heck no, even though the pup is probably mostly weaned the benefits of being around the mother are still there. Warmth, comfort, manners, and other basic skills are still being imprinted on the puppy and without a medical reason there is no benefit for the pup to leave outside of it is convenient for the breeder to not have to clean up or deal with the puppy anymore and they get the money from the sale faster

Pups should never leave the mother until 8 weeks old, by then they will have had their first shots and worming done (hopefully) and will be mature enough to go to their new homes

You really should think twice about this breeder if they are willing to let a puppy go that early. It really is shameful for them to put their own convenience over the puppy's health

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would absolutely not bring home a puppy that young, ever. I would run far, FAR away from a breeder trying to get rid of a puppy that young.

They need to stay with their mom until at least 7 weeks for socialization/development, and longer if you don't have dogs at home to teach bite inhibition.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
I'm not a breeder - no experience at all.

But as a puppy buyer I would not want to take my pup home at 4 weeks. All pups grow fast but they need to be with the mother IMO for development and health reasons. I don't know why that would be different for a singleton?

7-8 weeks is a good time to go home. Good luck.
I agree with this. The earliest I've seen a puppy go home is six weeks (a friend of my brothers) and even that is too young IMO. 7-8 weeks is good. The breeder I got Rambo from wouldn't let a puppy go until 8 weeks. 4 is way too young, and I couldn't see how being the only pup in the litter would affect what age he goes home. Good luck with your new pup when you get him!
Old 06-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Heck no, even though the pup is probably mostly weaned the benefits of being around the mother are still there. Warmth, comfort, manners, and other basic skills are still being imprinted on the puppy and without a medical reason there is no benefit for the pup to leave outside of it is convenient for the breeder to not have to clean up or deal with the puppy anymore and they get the money from the sale faster

Pups should never leave the mother until 8 weeks old, by then they will have had their first shots and worming done (hopefully) and will be mature enough to go to their new homes

You really should think twice about this breeder if they are willing to let a puppy go that early. It really is shameful for them to put their own convenience over the puppy's health

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I'd look for another breeder. Given this breeder so fast to want to rid themselves of the responsibility of caring for a puppy, I would not trust anything they say. I would cut my losses and find someone else to deal with.
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Considerations:

1. While the pup is large and doing fine, take it away from its mother, and that can change fast. Puppies should not be weaned at 4 weeks, and changing the puppy's diet, how much of which is milk from its dam, unknown is likely to cause issues.

2. Even if the puppy is large, it's bladder is small, and its developement is at 4 weeks. You should not be trying to house train such a youngster, and you really can't keep it crated for any amount of time.

3. Right now all its confidence is coming from its dam. Removing it from its dam at this point and shifting who it gets its confidence from, may remove the confidence boost a pup gets when it leaves its first home and sinks or swims. It should only be done if the bitch is dead. This is bad for the pup and the dam.

4. You will have to wait for it to grow up a bit before you can actually start training it.

5. The puppy is probably still under the dam's immunity, and so you will have to keep it at home until it is at the right age to start receiving innoculations. And then some.

Just a few, I would call this breeder and tell them you changed your mind and are not going to buy the puppy from them. They are not considering the welfare of the pup or the dam.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Run.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.