German Shepherds Forum banner

Sable, saddle...not sure??

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  andrea04 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My baby girl Koda is coming up on 4 months and her colours are starting to change. When we first brought her home she had a very blonde/tan chest, belly and hind legs. Her back and tail were pure black. Her blonde is now moving up her shoulders and hind legs, so I was thinking saddle but she is getting colour underneath the black on her back as well. She's confusing me! I've put a pic of her up, just wondering if anyone could take a guess at what she is/will be? Thanks :)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like a normal black and tan. Some lines (show lines) the normal black and tan will have what is called a "bitch stripe" which is sable hairs down the spine in a stripe.

Ironically, my sables (not sure this is true of all sables) have had a solid black stripe down the spine as puppies that persisted through adulthood.

#4 ·
Your pup is black and tan, not sable.....as far as a saddle, look at your pup's parents - if they were tan with black saddles, that is what she will be....pups with that pattern are born mostly black and the tan comes through quickly -

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.