German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Does it go everywhere? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/455698-does-go-everywhere.html)

Tauntingbull 05-31-2014 09:44 AM

Does it go everywhere?

Do you take your puppy/dog everywhere you go with you? As I am hoping to get a dog soon, I am trying to get an idea where all can one take a dog with them?

LoveEcho 05-31-2014 10:04 AM

It depends very much on where you live. I live in a very dog friendly area... You can bring your dog into banks and many shops, and on many restaurant patios. There are lots of dog-friendly parks and hiking trails. Where I used to live, however, there wasn't as much of a dog culture and places that allowed dogs were rare.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cassidy's Mom 05-31-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveEcho (Post 5586586)
It depends very much on where you live.

^This. It would be helpful if you edit your profile to include your general location, which will then show in all your posts under your username.

I live in a pretty dog friendly area, but I wouldn't expect to bring a GSD into some of the places that LoveEcho does, although there are restaurants with outdoor seating that allow dogs. We do have lots of opportunities for off leash hiking around here.

Alice13 05-31-2014 12:44 PM

I do sometimes...depends on the car I am using too. If it's the leather seat car then I would take her without thinking twice but wouldn't say the same if it's the fabric seat. It gets so frustrating to see so much of fur sticking to the fabric n if i am to give someone a ride I doubt they would want to ride in a car with seats that are covered in fur.

AmyOle 05-31-2014 01:29 PM

Yep- I took out the captains chairs in the minivan. Dog crate is secured behind the front passenger seat, my two kids sit in the back row. Kolachi goes pretty much everywhere we do-- if it involves leaving her in the car, I have a remote carstRter that allows me to lock the doors with the engine/ air conditioner running. I probably am not that "green", but the dog is comfy!

Ruby'sMom 05-31-2014 01:51 PM

I live in Northern Idaho and have been taking my 15 week GSD everywhere. Farmer's Market, Home Depot, Big R, restaurants with patios, dog beach, starbuck's patio..... Etc. make sure you finish vaccinations before taking pup to places where other dogs have been.

lalachka 05-31-2014 01:59 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Mine does. Our area is not friendly to dogs at all. Not allowed anywhere. So I always have someone wAlk with me and stay outside while I go in. Or if I drive then leAve him in the car and check on him every 5 mins. But I never leave him for more than 15 mins.

ksotto333 05-31-2014 02:09 PM

I take our dogs to a lot of places, but I try only to take them to places that would interest them. Although most art fairs and public venues allow dogs, I don't take mine to places that are geared to humans. Parks, hiking,beaches, reservoirs,grain store...they go to all of these with me. I just don't see the point of having them on black topped pavement in a crush of people. I don't trust the public to behave responsibly with their hands, trash or heaven forbid discarded cigarettes..

Ellimaybel 05-31-2014 02:14 PM

If it was up to my dog, he would go everywhere with me. As it is he can go on the occasional car ride if I'm driving thru banks or restaurants but I'm too paranoid to leave him in the car, EVER. I don't live in the safest of places. It's not like it's Chicago, but we do have a lot of crime here.

Gretchen 05-31-2014 05:17 PM

We take Molly many places. We don't have a lot of off-leash areas, so she just goes with us where ever. We find restaurants with doggy menus, pet stores, paint store, Home Depot, trails and beach, we find dog festivals, errands in the car. There are a few places I won't leave her in the car though, places I know there is theft and crime like a large grocery lot or mall. If I could ever take a vacation, I'd look for dog friendly hotels.
Here's a picture of Molly at a small seaside town- they don't allow dogs on the beach, but there are plenty of other places to walk around.
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3381449b.jpg