German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Cutting Nails (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/455610-cutting-nails.html)

eddie1976E 05-30-2014 05:48 PM

Cutting Nails

So, my boy is about 17 weeks and I have been handling his paws on a daily basis since we got him at 9 weeks. I have made it a point to cut his nails weekly. I only take 1-2mm off each time to ensure I don't cause pain or bleeding. Lately he has been very vocal and protective of his paws. I still handle them, but he gives me some lip and mouths my hands.

Cutting his nails has always been a 2 person job. One distracts with toys/treats, the other cuts. It seems like he is putting up more of a fight now.

How do I get through this so that I don't have a 90 pound dog that hates getting his nails cut?

Thanks

JakodaCD OA 05-30-2014 06:01 PM

When I start with a puppy, I'll cut say 'one', pop him a treat, cut another, pop him a treat..

Believe me, I've had one that HATED her nails done, I would get her in a down, my husband would literally pin her to the floor ,,she didn't struggle, but she sure didn't like her nails done.

Masi, the fat lard, I stand over her, bend down, lift one paw, flip it so I can see the quik, and clip,,she's not thrilled with it, but doesn't give me any guff about it..

I sometimes do it, when they are laying around, ...

HarleyTheGSD 05-30-2014 06:01 PM

Maybe you could try wearing your puppy out, making him tired.
Also, my guys hate when multiple people are trying to help me clip their nails, so I do it myself.

Thewretched 05-30-2014 06:28 PM

Why not dremel them

Sent from Petguide.com Free Appc

Merciel 05-30-2014 06:34 PM

It is so easy to teach dogs to file their own nails that I'm never going to bother with cutting them again.

Front paw filing is like 5 minutes of training time even if the dog has absolutely no prior experience, and less than one minute if the dog already has a front paw target. Back paw filing takes a little longer, but it's still way less hassle than nail clipping ever was.

I am only sad that I didn't discover this years ago. I spent so much money at groomers and let Pongu's nails grow way too long. Now it's all I can do to keep him from quicking himself, he's so excited to file his nails short.

E.Hatch 05-30-2014 06:41 PM

^ I must be missing something..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Tattersail 05-30-2014 06:50 PM

I also dremel my girls nails... it's a lot less stressful and doesn't seem to cause any discomfort like clipping does. They let you know when you're getting close to the quick as they pull their paw away (from the quick getting hot). Atm we're still at the stage of having someone distract her with treats but I can get all 5 paws done in 2min without any hassle.

eddie1976E 05-30-2014 07:41 PM

My dremel is pretty loud...he is a bit sensitive to the vacuum, so I didn't bother trying it.

I will try the cut, treat, cut, treat...a few people recommended that. I will also desensitize him to the dremel sound. In case we have to go that route.

Tattersail 05-30-2014 08:18 PM

Ah we did that early with Raven, I just turned it on and played with her and trained until it was just background noise, then moved on to touching her with it so the vibrations weren't a surprise and then finally we're at the- someone treat her as I do her nails- part.

Mister C 05-30-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tattersail (Post 5585154)
I also dremel my girls nails... I can get all 5 paws done in 2min without any hassle.

I always do the spare paw too. :D