Transitioning from crate to open in bedroom at night - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Transitioning from crate to open in bedroom at night

Is there a right/wrong time to do this? Right now my boy is 100% crate trained, no problems when he is in the crate during the night or when no one is home during the day. When we put him in there he goes to sleep without a peep.

I would like to transition him from sleeping in his crate at night to sleeping on his own dog bed in our bedroom. Is this something that needs to wait until he is a certain age? He is not 100% house trained yet, but I am hoping that if he sleeps in my room I can hear him when he needs to go out and let him out. Right now his crate is in the basement and I can't hear him when he cries to go to the bathroom at night which has led to a few accidents. My bedroom is puppy safe, nothing out for him to get into. Would it be ok to try it out and see how it goes? He's only 9 weeks old right now...
intothevoiddd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Personally I think 9 weeks is too young for a baby. You would be surprised at what they can find to get into.

Why don't you move his crate to your bedroom? Or get a second crate for your room.

My boy started getting free night when he was about 5 months. When we had a few months of sleeping through the night with no accidents.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

My 20 month old is still crated at night, only because I know he'll get into something and destroy stuff while I'm sleeping.
I think it's up to you to know when your dog is ready to sleep out of the crate at night.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Move a crate into your bedroom, when he is over his soon to come crazy chewing and getting into everything then he can sleep outside the crate.
Dexter had a really good run at 16 weeks off not having accidents, so I trusted him to sleep on the floor without a crate, I woke up to dexters version of renovation..the carpet was pulled up and eaten and the door had some chewing marks in it so did the wall. It did not pay off to trust the little brat at all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've had the crate right next to the bed ever since I brought her home. She was house trained by 10 weeks but I didn't let her start sleeping outside the crate until around 5 months old or so. I would try a night every once in awhile, but all she wanted to do was play with her toys or me when out.

Once she was around 5 months, she settled down during the night while out of the crate and hasn't been in it at all for about 3 or 4 weeks now.

I think 9 weeks is way too young to trust loose at night. Puppies tend to find the darndest things to get into so still need to be supervised.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just try moving the crate into your room for now.....
scout172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Our 6 month old started at 5 months. He always starts in the bed with us at night when we go to bed but always gets down in the middle of the night (I think he gets hot). He will move to the bathroom to sleep on the tile. He has never had an accident and only once have I woke up to find him chewing on the wrong thing...our bed post! Urrggghhh. Since then I always make sure I out out several chew toys including his favorite antler and we haven't had any problems. We do close the bedroom door to prevent roaming. For the most part though he sleeps through the night.

He still does great in his crate when we leave and still goes in there even on his own for a nap during the day. My husbands travels sometimes for work so I like having him out with me during the night (him and my pistol of course!) lol I understand why some leave crated at night, but for me what good is a locked up GSD in the event of an intruder?
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2014, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

It won't let me edit my last post, but to make it clear...I only have one husband! Lol
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

My boy was never crated in the nights but he only did get bed privledges when he hit 5 months. 9 weeks seems too early in my opinion. They have yet to hit the landshark stage. I'd wait longer.

Arkay Major Art
RedIndae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd try moving the crate into your bedroom for a another week or so. Then try to transition to a confined part of your bedroom. We were able to transition our pup to my daughter's bed. Its a platform bed, a little bit higher than your typical bed and our pup was afraid to jump off, so she stayed on my daughter's bed for a couple weeks.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.