German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   When to neuter? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/452593-when-neuter.html)

critterlady 05-20-2014 11:13 PM

When to neuter?

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct spot, but here goes, I have an almost 5 month old GSD, 21 weeks old, and I'm trying to figure out when to have him neutered. My vet says 6 months old, the humane society says 4 months old, but then I see posts on here and other places that say not til 1 year old. Can anyone help clear this up for me?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

selzer 05-20-2014 11:28 PM

It depends.

If you are planning on taking him to places where he must be neutered, like dog parks that have regulations on that, or doggy daycares, then you kind of will have to do it, as soon as it is required.

If you got the dog at the humane society, and they have a contract with you that you will neuter the dog within a certain time frame, then honor that contract.

If you are unable to keep your dog on your property, than six months -- before he is capable of siring a litter.

Some suggest neutering before boy-behaviors like marking and humping get a hold, 8-10 months, probably.

Structurally, many of us feel that it is better for a dog to remain intact until the growth plates close, and secondary sex characteristics have developed, 18 to 24 months.

And some of us never neuter as we feel it is healthier for the animal to remain intact, or because we feel a working dog may work better in some areas while entire, or because we intend to show the dog and the dog must have all his equipment.

Mishka&Milo 05-21-2014 08:52 AM

If it was up to me I would not spay or neuter until after a year for females, two years for males if at ALL possible. There seem to be fewer risks involves if you wait until their development is complete. Also, I understand there are circumstances where you have to.

onyx'girl 05-21-2014 09:02 AM

Marking and humping are management issues, it isn't a reason to neuter the dog.
If you don't have to neuter, don't. If you can't manage your dog responsibly to prevent oops litters, then neutering is the right thing to do. I'd wait till at least a yr old.

LaRen616 05-21-2014 09:07 AM

I prefer to wait until 2 years old or at least 18 months to neuter males and 1 year to spay females.

Diesel7602 05-21-2014 09:56 AM

My boy is getting it done at 5 months . He is 15 weeks now.

shepherdmom 05-21-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by critterlady (Post 5545209)
Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct spot, but here goes, I have an almost 5 month old GSD, 21 weeks old, and I'm trying to figure out when to have him neutered. My vet says 6 months old, the humane society says 4 months old, but then I see posts on here and other places that say not til 1 year old. Can anyone help clear this up for me?

It is a personal decision if the shelter or rescue or breeder doesn't have it in the contract. I'm getting my dog neutered on Thursday. He is 6 months. My Ivan was neutered at 4 months by the shelter.

Longfisher 05-21-2014 12:32 PM

Never

When to neuter? Never!

LF

Sunflowers 05-21-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5546417)
My boy is getting it done at 5 months . He is 15 weeks now.

Why?

Diesel7602 05-21-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5547241)
Why?

Because this was my choice. The younger they heal faster. I don't want zero aggression, and neutering helps. Never plan on breeding. Just a loving family pet for my boy that had autism.