German Shepherds Forum banner

New puppy with some decisions to make...

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  wyowolf 
#1 ·
We are getting a female GSD puppy in early June after we return from Vac. The pup will be appx 11 weeks at that point.

Here is the dilemma, We both work full time but our hours are staggered so i work 6-2 and she works 9-5 so the time the puppy will be alone will be appx 6 hrs.

What would everyone recommend for this situation until the pup is a bit older? I know she cant hold her bladder that long yet.

I can put her in my unfinished basement or i can put her outside in a small kennel. We live sort of isolated so someone taking her would be unlikely. In either case she would be of course taken care of so as not to get hurt, ie puppy proofing.

just trying to decide which would be better in the long run as far as potty training goes.

#2 ·
Do you have a relative or a friend that can go there and let the puppy out half way between that time?

I am against keeping puppies outside, unattended while no one is home. Too many things can happen.

#3 ·
I agree, outside is too risky, if you could purchase a 10 x 10 enclosure for the basement you could train the puppy to use puppy pads in it. This might help some with the housetraining- and would be alot safer for the pup. Just 1 idea, I'm sure you will get many more here- Bob

#5 ·
OK I can understand that. there is another possibility but I really don't like this option, my son is being watched by some family friends during that time. He is 11. it is possible to take the pup there, but i worry about her getting used to the that house and not ours?

am i being silly?

#6 ·
OK I can understand that. there is another possibility but I really don't like this option, my son is being watched by some family friends during that time. He is 11. it is possible to take the pup there, but i worry about her getting used to the that house and not ours?

am i being silly?
Now that one is tricky. It will help with potty training and it would be beneficial for the puppy to get used to being at different houses, it will help later on if ever your puppy has to stay at a different place if you are on vacation or something.

At the same time though, I am picky with how my puppies are raised, treated and trained. If you are training one way and using postive methods and the person watching your puppy does things differently or has a more firm hand it can confuse the puppy.

So, that is up to you.

Are you able to go home at lunch time?

#7 ·
6 hours isn't long for a older pup or adult, so it would only need to be for 2-3 months that you would need to worry about giving them a break midway or two if possible.

IMO The best case scenario would be involving a neighbor, family member, or bonded pet sitter to come let the dog out once a day if possible. I personally don't like giving a pup a chance to potty inside unless it's the only option.

Otherwise I would go with the enclosure in the basement

#8 ·
unfortunate going home at lunch is not an option, we work a good deal aways from where we live.

It will be a teenager watching my son and his friend, her brother. My son has not had a dog before, but I have had GSDs. But this is basically his dog. the family that is babysitting has had dogs before but dont anymore.

#10 ·
unfortunate going home at lunch is not an option, we work a good deal aways from where we live.

It will be a teenager watching my son and his friend, her brother. My son has not had a dog before, but I have had GSDs. But this is basically his dog. the family that is babysitting has had dogs before but dont anymore.
If you are comfortable with them watching the dog and they will do it for you then I would go that route. It's only for a couple of months, around 5-6 months old they should be able to hold it for 6 hours.

#9 ·
I personally get my puppies at 11 weeks of age and I take 1-2 weeks off of work in the beginning to start potty training, start bonding with them and socializing them.

I give them water an hour before I leave for work and make sure they potty before I leave. I come home 4 hours later on my lunch break and take them out to potty and play for a half hour and then I go back to work for another 4 hours and then I am home.

#12 ·
Sorry, just saw your latest answer. I was between houses when I got Delgado so he lived with me at my parents’ house from when he was 9 weeks to 5 months old, it worked out just fine. My mom was home all day so she watched him and let him out, then our closing date came and we moved to our new house. By then he was fully house broken and didn't have a problem, even now if I need someone to watch my dogs I bring them to my parents 99.9% of the time. It's like a vacation for them to spend time with family, though I get a very enthusiastic greeting when I pick them up lol

#18 ·
If your son's sitter is old enough to drive, would it be possible for her to bring your son home half way through the day. They could take the dog out and give a short play period. It would be a great opportunity for your son to learn the responsibility he has to HIS dog. It would be good for their bonding as well. Just a thought.

I also think the suggestion of the sitter watching your son at your home is good as well.

#20 ·
Congratulations on the new puppy! I bought turf/sod and left puppy in am empty room with hardwood floor. So there was a soft bed that his litter mates and mom had laid on, a low plastic container with sod-- large enough for puppy, and bully sticks. I did go home at lunch to let him out too. Every week I put down new sod to keep it fresh. It worked great and it reinforced going on grass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.