German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Question about crate training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/452122-question-about-crate-training.html)

intothevoiddd 05-20-2014 06:44 AM

Question about crate training

Long story short, I work full time and am only able to get home to let my boy out once a day during my lunch. When I get home he is able to be outside for a solid 45 minutes. When I am gone he is crated for 4 hours at a time. Same deal at night, ~3.5 hours in the crate, I let him out, then back in the crate for ~3.5 hours.

He has a full size crate, and since he is only 8 (almost 9) weeks old, I know he cannot realistically hold his bladder for 4 hours at a time. So I set his bed up in one side of the crate, and put down puppy pads on the other side. At first this worked wonderfully, I would come home for lunch and see that he was sleeping on his bed and peeing once on the puppy pad. No problems, seemed to be working well, easy cleanup for me. BUT, recently he has started chewing on the pee pads. It still seems like he's peeing on them, but then he will pull them over to his bed and start shredding them up. In his crate I let him have two non destructible chew toys with no knobs on them.

So what can I do? I'm not sure how to handle this.

LoveEcho 05-20-2014 10:16 AM

Puppy pads are really counter productive for potty training. 4 hours should be OK for your pup- many of us work full days and come home at lunch, etc. If they have to hold it, they can for that long, and it's good for them to learn that they can. Having anything chew-able (pads, and often bedding) in crates with unattended puppies can also be a safety issue. I'd use the divider and ditch the puppy pads.

wyoung2153 05-20-2014 10:28 AM

I hate puppy pads.. there are certain circumstances I would use them, but not for normal potty training.

I would get a much smaller crate or section the crate off so he only has room to lay down, stand up and turn around to lay down again. There shouldn't be room for him to pee on one side, and lay on the other. The 4 hours should be fine. I limit water intake before crate time, so he can have water until about an hour until crate time. Then lunch.. drink water first thing, then pick it up.. play.. crate. Home, free range water bowl :) until about an hour before bed. He will pick up on it after a few days.. they don't like peeing on themselves so he will try to hold it as long as he can.

At night when you take him out every 3.5 hours, does he pee on his pad too?

intothevoiddd 05-20-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 5541169)
I hate puppy pads.. there are certain circumstances I would use them, but not for normal potty training.

I would get a much smaller crate or section the crate off so he only has room to lay down, stand up and turn around to lay down again. There shouldn't be room for him to pee on one side, and lay on the other. The 4 hours should be fine. I limit water intake before crate time, so he can have water until about an hour until crate time. Then lunch.. drink water first thing, then pick it up.. play.. crate. Home, free range water bowl :) until about an hour before bed. He will pick up on it after a few days.. they don't like peeing on themselves so he will try to hold it as long as he can.

At night when you take him out every 3.5 hours, does he pee on his pad too?

Yes, he is peeing frequently. In 4 hours I will come back to several pee puddles on a pad. I don't think I have seen him hold it for longer than maybe 2 hours tops.

LoveEcho 05-20-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intothevoiddd (Post 5541217)
Yes, he is peeing frequently. In 4 hours I will come back to several pee puddles on a pad. I don't think I have seen him hold it for longer than maybe 2 hours tops.

My own experience with my two has been that if they don't HAVE to hold it, they won't- and then they never really learn to.