German Shepherds Forum banner

Help

812 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
Need Help..... My pup is 10 1/2 weeks old and a day does not go by that he does not pee in his crate. I have made the crate nice small and comfortable, I make numerous visits outside to his spot, cut back on the amount of water he drinks and nothing seems to work. I am very frustrated. I took him out last night at 10:30pm and I got up at 4:30am to take him out and he already went pee in crate. The last time he had any water was at 5pm last night. This will also continue in the day, I have taken him out to his spot 3X in an hour and he will pee. I will then put him in crate and come back an hour later and good chance he will have peed and will be laying in it because he has no room. Also, he will not whine or bark to let me know he needs to go out.

#2 ·
I clean up my puppy's pee and then use a vinegar/water spray and wipe it again. The smell goes away quickly for humans, but dogs can smell it for weeks. Otherwise they smell there pee and think its ok to go in that spot. It works for me! Also, i would take him on a leash potty everytime to one corner of the yard... Now when i let him out he always goes to that same area. Hope this helps

#3 ·
My Sinister peed his cage like that. I took him to the vet and he had a UTI. It is unusual for a male to have a uti but it can happen. After he finished his antibiotics, I now give him 2 tbs. braggs apple cider vinegar on his dog food everyday to keep bacteria at bay. Take your pup to the vet just to rule out a UTI . Also if you provide them with a blanket they are more likely to soil their crate. So nothing in the crate with your puppy. Take outside on a leash every time to guarantee he goes and praise. Act a fool with excitement and give lots of treats. I always mark it, Yes good potty!! Give treat. Good luck!!

#4 ·
For a 10 1/2 week pup, waiting from 10:30 pm to 4:30 pm is a very long time for their little bladders. If this was my pup, I would add one more visit outside in there, maybe even 2 more. Once he goes, quietly scratch, good puppy then take him back to the crate. That many may be overkill and a lot of sleep lost for a few days, but in the end I am happier not having to clean up a pee crate at night.

During the day, keep the pup tethered to you. Watch for any hint of wanting to pee, sniffing/circling, scoop him up, take to the spot outside, give the pee command, throw a party when after he goes. Do this even if it is 4 or 5 times an hour. At this age, they are pee machines :)

Keep in mind after he wakes up from a nap, after a play period and eating, he is going to need to go outside.

#5 ·
Yes 6 hours is too long for a 10 week old. THey have small bladders right now and have to empty often.

I have never partitioned the crate for a puppy. I prefer a large crate with one side bedding (folded towel) and one side newspaper. Puppies do not like to soil their bedding but when they have to go they have to go. The puppy will pee on the newspaper side if you set it up that way. As he gets older he will be able to hold it longer (bigger bladder).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.