I feel so guilty... :'( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I feel so guilty... :'(

I'm not sure where to post this, so i'll just post it in here.

Yesterday, Finnick had his first training class, we were just on our way home- walking down the road when we suddenly saw a Staffordshire Bull Terrier (very common dog here in the UK), absolutely NO owner in sight.

So, I crossed the road with Finnick on his lead beside me to try and avoid this dog as I had no idea how friendly it was and to see if I could see the owner. The Staffy saw us and came sprinting towards us across the BUSY road. We stood still (as I know it's best not to run), luckily the staffy seemed fairly friendly, albeit very nervy. The owner then comes from nowhere and apologises frantically, picks the dog up and walks across the road. He "SEEMED" like a normal friendly guy, until he reached the curb on the opposite curb where he proceeded to THROW his Staffy onto the curb causing it to hit it's head. Of course, the idiotic owner still doesn't put a lead on his dog, so the staffy once again sprints over to us on the opposite side of the road (he just wanted to say hello), as he's running, a car has to emergency stop - missing the dog by inches!! At this point, it FINALLY catches the Staffys owners attention....he comes running over all guns blazing and shouting to the high heavens above. I've never ever in my life seen someone shout so aggressively, at this point I don't know if he's shouting at me or his poor dog. The Staffy is now cowering because he is so terrified of his owner. The owner picks him up by the scruff of the neck and drags him into a nearby road (I presume to where they live).

At this point I am so shaken because I have never actually seen someone be so aggressive to their dog with my own eyes.

I now feel like I should have done something. I feel so guilty, because that poor dog probably has such a terrible life with an abusive owner

I honestly think if i'd have said or done anything to him, I would have either gotten a knife pulled out on me or i'd have gotten beaten up (he was what we call a "Chav" over here). Plus I didn't want to risk anything happening to Finnick as he's only 13 weeks old. I feel so terrible I was also on my own and there were two guys with the Staffy. I'm only 24, so I couldn't have put up much of a fight if it turned that way.

Do you think I should have done something? I can't report him because I don't know where he lives, nor do I remember his face. It's all a bit of a blur. That poor puppy

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Chloe & Princess the Kitties
Fred & George the Ferrets
FuzzButtMum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think you should have done or said anything to the man.. but maybe find a way to report the incident so that if you see him again, you can contact AC? I don't know. That's a tough one.

Sorry you went through that, it's so sad to see something treating an animal that way.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
I don't think you should have done or said anything to the man.. but maybe find a way to report the incident so that if you see him again, you can contact AC? I don't know. That's a tough one.

Sorry you went through that, it's so sad to see something treating an animal that way.
It was absolutely terrible the dog was only about 6 - 7 months old. Makes my blood absolutely boil. I just feel so bad, i've told people and they say "oh, I would have said something"....when in fact, if they'd seen how aggressive this man already was, they wouldn't have done anything. It's easy for them to sit and say they would if they weren't in the situation

Thanks, I have reported it to the local authorities, not that they will do anything. I hope I see him again, maybe I can get a sneaky photo or something! So frustrating!

Owned by
Finnick 06/02/14
Chloe & Princess the Kitties
Fred & George the Ferrets
FuzzButtMum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post

This.

Hugs i dont think i would have been able to keep quiet.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Awww the poor dog!

Don't feel guilty, you weren't the one who hurt the dog. Gosh some people really need to evaluate why they want a pet in the first place.

Maybe call AC and see what they suggest?

I'm sorry you had to see that, how horrible
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Don't feel guilty

Not to long ago I was headed home in my car with Hoby going through the city in a school zone. A young man with 2 children and 2 small Pekinese Dogs were standing on the side of the street. All 5 were totally out of control. I could see this a block down. Fearing a run away into the street be it child or dog. I slowed to a stop. Coming from the opposite direction was a large pick up truck with a creme colored Lab riding shot gun who also slowed to a stop. At that moment one of the Pekinese ran into and across the street. The young man chased the one dog while he let the other Pekinese run free! When he caught the one dog he whacked the stuffing out of it as the kids were screaming for him to stop. He then chased the other dog around to no avail. Traffic was backing up. The driver of the truck and myself could only shake our heads in disgust. Just then a police cruiser pulled up out of the traffic line and turned on his lights. Even though I was thinking of getting out of my car I stayed put. The officer who was very professional straightened the guy out and calmed the kids. At least for the moment. This all took place within a few minutes. I felt terrible for the dogs and the kids. As for Hoby and the Lab, cool as a cold beer in the summer time.
HOBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.