New puppy help.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New puppy help..

So I just got my puppy a week ago, and I'm not completely overwhelmed, just a little curious. I feel as if I am not correctly bonding with him. I feel that every time I scold him I am creating distance. That may sound dumb, but I want to do everything in my ability to make the most well behaved dog I can and I hear that all of the time in the beginning is worth it when they are older but I'm not exactly sure what I need to be working on to ensure that he will be well behaved. I have started training with him and he is a very VERY smart dog and we are almost already potty trained now just a few accidents! Any advice or tips would be much appreciated. He is primarily my dog, he will be going off to college in August with me. Thank you for your time.

Josh
Jwrobinett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How old is your puppy?

I may seem like an oddball, but I don't scold my puppies. I do my very best to manage and control their environment, so I don't have to scold them. I always try to set my puppy up to succeed. Chewing, biting, etc, are all managed with redirection. Make things FUN. Training can and should be fun.

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi & Pi ~ the meezers
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes I agree! Gsd puppies are so smart! As far as scolding I just did the ah ah sound hand them one of their own toys, keep off limit things up! We had some of those Taco Bell stuffed dogs on a low shelf and Cody would get one, I'd hand him another toy and say you chew on this and I loved the way he'd take his toy so cute and happy like! The stuffed dogs only had a party hat slightly damaged! He left them alone after a couple times! When they were puppies the housework probably lacked a little cause I wanted to play with the puppy more than clean house when I came home from work! Like said, have fun!
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

My guy is only 10 weeks old and I think part of the problem is that I haven't found the toys that he really likes yet! We haven't gone to petsmart or any pet store like that because he isn't fully vaccinated and I just wanted to wait on that!
Jwrobinett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

TIME ='s Bonding. One of the best way to spend that time is going for 'off leash' walks where it is safe, with low activity from others. You bond, both of you get exercise, it's all good.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

The one "behavior" I put the biggest premium on is the recall....I personally believe if your pup/dog comes running to you whenever you call them...not only do you have a "bond" being created and enhanced...it makes so many other tasks so much easier. So, at the risk of creating "distance" I would deal with a pup a bit differently than a juvenile or an adult dog...I would go out of my way to assure a pup the safest and best place to be is together as a team.

I also like Sourdough's advice regarding off leash walks in a controlled environment.....exploring the outdoors with your pup following you/or staying close is quality bonding time spent together...with you as the pup's confident leader exposing him to the rest of the world.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
How old is your puppy?

I may seem like an oddball, but I don't scold my puppies. I do my very best to manage and control their environment, so I don't have to scold them. I always try to set my puppy up to succeed. Chewing, biting, etc, are all managed with redirection. Make things FUN. Training can and should be fun.
Yep, this!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwrobinett View Post
My guy is only 10 weeks old and I think part of the problem is that I haven't found the toys that he really likes yet! We haven't gone to petsmart or any pet store like that because he isn't fully vaccinated and I just wanted to wait on that!
Just pick up a few different things.

My dog is ball obsessed, but she doesn't pay much attention to toys at the store, because there are so many other distractions around like treats, other dogs etc. So taking your dog in, isn't necessarily a good indicator, because he might be more interested in other stuff anyway.

You don't have to take your pup in, just go by and pick up some things you think he'll like
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you've only had your puppy for a week chances are it is still attached to his pack and litter mates and still getting used to the new surroundings. Give it another week or so and you'll find the pup would be almost inseperable from you.

Also, don't "scold" pups that are below 6-8 months if they are not supposed to be doing something. Instead praise them for doing good things and praise them for avoiding the undesirable things. Such young pups do not yet have any concept of discipline.
nezzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Be the most fun thing your puppy knows.

Love him, feed him, play with him.

Enjoy the baby -- then work on other things.

Set him up for success.

And, pictures for us!

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.