German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Pig ears, who knew. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/447482-pig-ears-who-knew.html)

Diesel7602 05-07-2014 01:25 PM

Pig ears, who knew.

I bought some pig ears for perseus for the first time. I think he died and went to heaven. I wish I could video it. He first picks it up in his mouth, throws it up in the air, rubs his whole body on it, dances around it,then he eats it . So funny. Does anyone have a certain thing your pup goes nuts for?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

carmspack 05-07-2014 01:42 PM

you may want to look at how those pig ears are made.

Are they from China. Many recalls because of salmonella. Many brands .
If they are "smoked" that is another unwanted chemical which can caused illness.
If they are hardened they may be plasticized making them indigestible causing blockages .
Because the dogs do like them owners will provide them frequently , enjoying the pleasure the dogs get . Pig ears are pretty fatty . Obesity in the future?
Watch for the stool -- hope you don't have to deal with diarrhea.

blackshep 05-07-2014 02:17 PM

Pig ears are perfectly fine, but do watch your supplier. They are not fatty. The oil on them is because cheaper brands don't cut off the drums.

I get mine from Nothing Added. They are a local Canadian company, but will be shipping to the US soon. All locally sourced ingredients, human grade, nothing from China. They are simply dehydrated, no preservatives, additives or flavouring added.

Check your supplier, but they are perfectly fine for a snack, my dog loves them too, although she doesn't get nearly as worked up as your pup does! :D

www.nothingadded.ca

K9POPPY 05-07-2014 02:18 PM

Yes, be really careful about pig ears, dogs love them, but they are sometimes carriers of salmonella, can make dogs really sick-

Diesel7602 05-07-2014 02:20 PM

They are made in Canada. I don't buy anything from China after learning What they did to baby formula and our process meat even dog food. They do have a smoked flavor. =( so far no diarrhea. But I sure will keep a look out for it. I think maybe this is the last bag I'll get if it does cause problems. What a bummer , he really liked them.

blackshep 05-07-2014 02:21 PM

try the nothing added ones! :)

Diesel7602 05-07-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackshep (Post 5486282)
Pig ears are perfectly fine, but do watch your supplier. They are not fatty. The oil on them is because cheaper brands don't cut off the drums.

I get mine from Nothing Added. They are a local Canadian company, but will be shipping to the US soon. All locally sourced ingredients, human grade, nothing from China. They are simply dehydrated, no preservatives, additives or flavouring added.

Check your supplier, but they are perfectly fine for a snack, my dog loves them too, although she doesn't get nearly as worked up as your pup does! :D

www.nothingadded.ca

So is Canada a good deal? As long as it's not from China?

Diesel7602 05-07-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackshep (Post 5486322)
try the nothing added ones! :)

I think those are the same ones I got him.

blackshep 05-07-2014 02:27 PM

They aren't cheap, but worth it IMO.

Not sure if you can get them shipped to the US yet or not, you can contact them and ask. Not all places in Canada are going to make them the same way, I can't speak for other brands.

I know Nothing Added has nothing but the highest quality. Drums are cut off, so no grease, no smoke flarouring, no preservatives. Just dehydrated, that's it. The pizzles don't stink either. I have not found one of their products my dog didn't love and that I was unhappy in any way with.

Diesel7602 05-07-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5486354)
I think those are the same ones I got him.

Wait, I had to double check. They are called oinkies made by hartz. The ingredients say pig ear strips. Nothing added.