German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Markings... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/447329-markings.html)

FuzzButtMum 05-07-2014 08:15 AM

Markings...

2 Attachment(s)
My old boy Jack was a solid black GSD, so i'm not so knowledgeable on GSD markings changing etc.

Finnick is now 12 weeks old, his markings are changing rapidly! When he was younger (and when he came to live with us at 9 weeks) he had extremely beautiful, distinguished markings around his eyes (see first picture), his facial markings...including his eye markings are getting much darker now (see second pic).

Are his markings likely to change again and again? He got his eye markings from his dad (so if it's a genetic marking, is he more likely to keep it?).

Thanks :) his markings have come out slightly different to what they look like in the photo's, his muzzle is jet black, but you get the ide aon the markings.

Attachment 207297

Attachment 207305

HarleyTheGSD 05-07-2014 08:44 AM

You have a beautiful sable. :)

HarleyTheGSD 05-07-2014 08:48 AM

And yes, his markings will change again and again. Around three to four months of age he will most likely be completely tan, besides the dark mask and a dark stripe down the center of his back, which will spread out as he ages.
He looks very similar to my guy when he was a pup.

FuzzButtMum 05-07-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5483897)
You have a beautiful sable. :)

Aww thank you :) he looks much more silvery in real life...well it changes in the light lol!

FuzzButtMum 05-07-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5483929)
And yes, his markings will change again and again. Around three to four months of age he will most likely be completely tan, besides the dark mask and a dark stripe down the center of his back, which will spread out as he ages.
He looks very similar to my guy when he was a pup.

Thank you! Their markings are so confusing!! So do you think he will keep his eye markings? (I really love them, although I obviously wouldn't love him any less without them) x

HarleyTheGSD 05-07-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzButtMum (Post 5483945)
Thank you! Their markings are so confusing!! So do you think he will keep his eye markings? (I really love them, although I obviously wouldn't love him any less without them) x

You mean the tan around the eyes? If so, yes. Look at my Avatar. He is also a sable, and he still has tan around his eyes.

Diesel7602 05-07-2014 02:31 PM

I thought my boy was going to be a blanket back... But I think I'm going to be wrong. He is getting silver/tan going up he ribs from his belly, it kinda looks like strips. I'll have to try and take a pic and show ya. Also tan is moving up to his shoulders. His adult hair is Growing in fast, and it feels and looks crimpy. :D can't wait to see what he will turn out to look like.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Diesel7602 05-07-2014 04:00 PM

Yea!!! I got him to hold still :D

HarleyTheGSD 05-07-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5486554)
Yea!!! I got him to hold still :D

Ooh, he looks so soft!
Hmm. It's difficult to tell. How old is he? He could be either a blanket back or saddle. My black and tan had a blanket up to four months, and he is a saddle back.

Diesel7602 05-07-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5486722)
Ooh, he looks so soft!
Hmm. It's difficult to tell. How old is he? He could be either a blanket back or saddle. My black and tan had a blanket up to four months, and he is a saddle back.

He is 13 weeks. :D