German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   No running, no sliding, no stairs, no jumping? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/446930-no-running-no-sliding-no-stairs-no-jumping.html)

placeshifter 05-06-2014 03:02 PM

No running, no sliding, no stairs, no jumping?

I just read an article from a Vet who writes that GS pups (mine is 9 weeks old) should not run, should not slide on slipper wooden floors, should not go up and down stairs, and should never jump.

I'm kind of horrified because I've been letting her dart around and run while we play with a soccer ball on the grass, run to me from a short distance when I call "COME", and my floors are wooden (so she slips when she's running around excited. Additionally, I was a little terrified when she jumped off a small ledge onto concrete once when I wasn't looking.

What exactly can we do with them? Just walk around the grass over and over again?

Sunflowers 05-06-2014 03:08 PM

179 Attachment(s)
You use common sense, you put runners on the floors, you don't throw balls high up in the air for them to jump for.
You let them self regulate when it comes to exercise.
Wait to jog or run them until after they're 18 months old.

Diesel7602 05-06-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by placeshifter (Post 5480034)
I just read an article from a Vet who writes that GS pups (mine is 9 weeks old) should not run, should not slide on slipper wooden floors, should not go up and down stairs, and should never jump.

I'm kind of horrified because I've been letting her dart around and run while we play with a soccer ball on the grass, run to me from a short distance when I call "COME", and my floors are wooden (so she slips when she's running around excited. Additionally, I was a little terrified when she jumped off a small ledge onto concrete once when I wasn't looking.

What exactly can we do with them? Just walk around the grass over and over again?

I was kinda worried my self because my boy loves to run and jump. The vet said he is ok going up the stairs and down if you help him so he doesn't jump down them. I also wanted to start running with my boy, but for now, just walks. Sometimes, puppies just jump on their own or run. But as long as your not making the run or jump, then you really can't stop them in full puppy mode. Just keep a close eye on him, make sure he doesn't do it much. The vet said it has to do with joints and the growth plates, so you don't want hard forces on them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

ZoeD1217 05-06-2014 03:36 PM

I'd have to keep mine in a box to keep her from running and jumping and even occasionally sliding. We don't intentionally try to get her to do these things but it happens.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

ApselBear 05-06-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5480082)
You use common sense, you put runners on the floors, you don't throw balls high up in the air for them to jump for.
You let them self regulate when it comes to exercise.
Wait to jog or run them until after they're 18 months old.

And by wait to jog or run them, you mean wait to jog or run with them.