Leaving puppy behind while we are away - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Leaving puppy behind while we are away

I will probably sound like a crazy furmama but this will be the first time that I'm away from Hans since we got him. My husband has gone on a couple of business trips but I haven't had to be away. We are both going away in mid-May for 4 nights. He will be 4.5 months/20 weeks old.

Hans will be staying with my parents. They absolutely love him and my Dad comes over every day at 2:30 pm to let him out, play with him, train him a bit. We use this together with a dog walker who comes in at 11:30 am so that Hans isn't crated all day while we are at work. He loves my Dad and is quite attached to him. We go to my parents' for Sunday brunch every week and he comes with us each time. We have also left him there for the rest of the Sunday afternoon a couple of times to get him used to it. He has his own crate there, his own food/drink dishes and toys.

My parents will take 2 days off work when he is with them and the other 2 are weekend days so he will not be left alone in their home except for short times while they go shopping, etc. We'll leave a bunch of his toys there along with a bully stick and a himalayan dog chew or two which is his favourite.

Anything else we should do? He sleeps in a crate in our bedroom at night so I've managed to convince my parents to put the crate in their room at night because I think he will be quieter/better behaved if he's right next to them.

I am just so attached to him. I don't want him to be sad or think we've abandoned him! We were supposed to go to Ireland later this summer and changed our plans and instead rented a crazy nice cottage in eastern Ontario so that he can come with us...call me crazy, I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Tuff situation, if I were you I'd get him as used to your parents as possible. Every overnight stays so he knows you'll come back to him. Our boy's name is Hans too. Good luck and prepare them for him crying.
gnet158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Trust me, he will be just fine, he's so lucky to have your parents- dogs do not really sense time length- you have done everything well to prepare him, he will just be excited to be with your parents, he will have a blast. Don't worry, be happy for him!!!! IMHO! Bob Ps, this will be good for him, someday you may indeed go somewhere without him?:-)

Last edited by K9POPPY; 05-07-2014 at 07:01 PM.
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think it's a good time to leave him for the first time. On the whole, GSDs tend to be more clingy, some more prone to separation anxiety, harder to settle in the house (especially young). I go to Florida for a week each April and have had the opportunity to take a dog but always leave my GSDs behind so that they get a full week each year learning that life goes on even if mom is away and they're with a friend for a week. I do take them to tournaments and events, some 9 hours drive and several states away, but I like to have a week where they are not only in a new environment but being cared for by someone else. Legend was 5 months old when I was gone in April and Nikon was 6.5 months the first time I boarded him with a friend (for both this was a brand new place and a completely "strange" person).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.