Looking for some Guidance and Books to Read! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for some Guidance and Books to Read!

Hey All,

I am getting a German Shepherd in a month. I want to make sure that I give the little guy the best training I can, and enforce good behavior and good habits.

I was hoping that you all could recommend articles and books to read for training and good behavior. I have read a ton all over the place, but I want to read more to make sure I know what I am doing.

Also, I have a few questions:
1) Is it bad to have puppies go up stairs, and occasionally downstairs? As they grow is it bad for their hips to use the stairs?

2) If I crate the dog next to my bed, I'm on the fourth floor of a victorian house. If I let it out to use the bathroom, I would have to carry it downstairs and put it outside. Would it be better to crate it downstairs and check up on it every 3 or so hours at night?

3) Do you have any recommendations for toys/things to buy for the puppy?

Thanks!!
AlexRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Here's some of my favorites from my reading list:
"The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell
"The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson
"How to Behave so Your Dog Behaves" by Sophia Yin

There are also a couple really great Youtube channels that go over positive reinforcement and dealing with puppy behaviors:
Training Positive - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRy...0SZNRyq1iVda5g
Kikopup - https://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup

1) I would limit stars, especially when young. It coul put some stress on the joints, but I would be more worried about a clumsy pup falling down the stairs and hurting itself. I would babygate the bottom of the stairs and only let the pup on the second level if you carry them up and they stay tethered to you on a leash.

2) I would crate next to the bed and carry the pup. It lets you catch accidents before they happen if the pup gets up and whines, and the pup will settle better in the crate if it sleeps close to you.

3) KONG first off. Stuffable food toy that is very versatile. Can be stuffed with room temperature things such as dry food/biscuits and peanut butter, frozen with pretty much anything (peanut butter, wet food, unsweetened greek yogurt, unsweetened apple sauce, cottage cheese, etc.) or it can be stuffed with a bit of kibble and cheese and microblasted into a sticky mess inside for a long lasting treat (just make sure it cools off before you give it to the pup!).

Nylabones are pretty good chews, as are split deer antlers, raw bones, and bully sticks.

I like braided fleece tugs as they stand up to some pretty rough play and are cheap and easy to make out of store-bought fleece, and old fleece blanket or a t-shirt.

Good luck and post pics of your pup when you get it!
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Go on you tube and watch all the Michael Ellis and Stonnie Dennis videos.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
Go on you tube and watch all the Michael Ellis and Stonnie Dennis videos.
Thanks, almost forgot about them
Old 05-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Your German Shepherd Puppy Month By Month
Amazon $11-12
This is what I read. It helped out a lot. Covers almost everything, and what's not in the book or I don't understand something, I come on here. A lot of helpful people that know their stuff

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

These are great posts! Thank you for responding and I'll be taking a look at all of the suggestions!

Speaking of Michael Ellis - Are the DVDs that Leerburg sells worth purchasing?
AlexRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRD View Post
These are great posts! Thank you for responding and I'll be taking a look at all of the suggestions!

I really love the playing tug with your dog one. I felt like the positive reinforcement/motivating with food one was pretty consistent with the online and book resources I've read through. I think instead of spending the money on the motivating with food one, I would save that for a good positive reinforcement based class where you can work hands-on with your pup under the guidance of someone who is experienced with the technique and can point out your mistakes to you. Plus a class will of course be great socialization for your pup.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRD View Post

I think the DVDs are well worth the money you spend, even if working with a trainer. There is so much knowledge there about basic learning theory and how to communicate with the dog in an effective manner. I know that these videos in particular changed the way I train dogs in a very positive way.

I always recommend the Power of Food, Power of Tug and Recall videos.

Leerburg has started an online university too, where you get some videos and work with a trainer as well. I am planning on taking a couple classes just to see how it all works. Jeff, Ed's son, is at the ME School now shooting video for a leash pressure online class.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Two articles from Leerburgh are in post 8:

'Why Dog Parks are a Bad Idea" and 'Who Pets my Puppy or Dog" My GSD had "People Issues" and 'Who Pets..." is what I did to fix this issue. He turned out great and it's how I will train all my dogs going forward!

New Dog, Very Challenging
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Two articles from Leerburgh are in post 8:

'Why Dog Parks are a Bad Idea" and 'Who Pets my Puppy or Dog" My GSD had "People Issues" and 'Who Pets..." is what I did to fix this issue. He turned out great and it's how I will train all my dogs going forward!

You can link directly to the post you are refering to using the permalink in the upper right corner. It just adds "#post5296377" to the end of the url so the viewer is taken directly to that post and not the first in the thread.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.